Frustrating code after rebuild P0011

Hey guys, as some of you know I just completed a full comprehensive engine rebuild of my 2002 R50 pathy. Body has 187,000 miles and engine has 210 miles as of today. When we first fired her up we got a check engine light for P0011 or intake valve timing control bank 1.

I tested all sensors as described in the FSM and Haynes repair manual and found the bank 1 cam position sensor to be faulty so I replaced with a quality aftermarket sensor from airtex/Wells. The problem got better but stayed around. It especially liked throwing the code in the first 2 to 5 mins of driving. I thought hard and decided that the VVT control solenoids must not like the motor break-in oil additive that I had used upon the initial break-in so I dropped the oil at 125miles and replaced the filter with another WIX XP filter and oil with a 5W30 castrol oil. She took 5 quarts. The code stuck around so I contacted my dealer and they looked at it and determined the new $70 sensor was bad so they replaced it with an OEM one, test drove it and said it's all fixed. $297 later I made it 2 miles before it gave me the code again. I cleared it and drove another mile without a problem but I believe it will come back.

Has anyone else had this problem?? I don't know what to do and am running out of cash after spending $3000 on parts during the rebuild.

HELP!

Regards, Pvt. RAVE

US Army

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Haha you sound as pissed as I am.

I did exactly that and they called me this morning to tell me that it is the phase gear that controls the angle of the valve opening. I did tell them that i had soaked those cam gears in degreaser to clean them during the rebuild so hopefully that's not why they are telling me that it is bad. They want $550 for a new one and I didn't Even ask how much for them to install it as I don't own a money tree. I will do the install myself. Hopefully I can find a used one.... Junk yard maybe... I spend all $3500 I had on internals for the rebuild.

No I didn't yet. I pick the car up tonight. I doubt I will get a full refund. I will probably leave the OEM sensor in there. That was $110. As for the rest of it. They did spend several hours trying to diagnose the problem so I can't really complain too much. I found a u-pull place with 2 pathfinders in it. They charge $6 each for cam gears. Gonna go tear into them tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

I don't know if this helps but my info. has P0011 listed as"intake valve timing control performance on the right bank".

Edited by kdj

Oil level? Low oil can cause it. Also have you changed your oil since the break in? Try running some 0W with half can of seafoam through. Break up any left over assembly lube.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have done a change 50 miles ago. It is right at the upper fill line and is golden clear in perfect condition.

P001 comes up as intake valve timing control left bank on my reader??

I picked up 2 phase gears yesterday for $12 at the U-pull place. Will fit this week and see what happens. I also grabbed all the timing sensors and some interior parts

• 2 weeks later...

Got the problem fixed after another trip to the dealer and 3 to the U-pull yard. I yanked the valve covers and timing cover only to discover a missing O-ring between an oil port and the chain tensioner that alse fed oil to the valve timing solenoid..... 2 new o rings and the problem disappeared. Truck runs like brand new. About 600 miles on the motor already!