ABS light

orca4wd

Occasionally my 1995 Pathfinder dash cluster ABS lights up. The light will turn off after a re-start of the engine. I double checked by toping off low brake fluid and disconnect the battery hoping it will reset the error codes but the light came back. Anyone experience a similar problem and have a solution to completely eliminated this? I'm suspecting is the ABS sensor near the end of the drive shaft close to rear differential. The sensor is kind of pricy so would like to ensure is this part first. Appreciate any advise or feedback..

Edited by orca4wd

Check your tyre pressures maybe. If one is a bit flat then ABS thinks hmm something isn't right.

Thank you for your reply. I just checked both rear tires which show around 32-34 lbs variance. Mystery continue to linger...

ummm... since when is tire pressure monitored in the 95's? The ABS light comes on for low fluid or a malfunction in the rear antilock braking system. FSM has information on testing. Mine came on and, since I never cared about antilock brakes, I simply snipped the wire that goes from the control unit under the seat to the light in the dashboard. That way my mechanic can't say @!*% when he inspects it cause there's no indicator light

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

mine came on when I swapped out the tail/brakelites for leds, also the cruise quit working

This is definitely not a thing. Just coincidence. Source: I installed LEDs in my tail lights two weeks ago and my cruise/ABS still work fine.

Check in to the FSM on testing procedures. I'm sure a speed sensor has failed. It's a fairly primitive system so should be easy to diagnose. It's one hydraulic unit around the B pillar on the frame, and then the sensors on the wheels.