1992 Climate Control teardown?

Bobsteriffic

Just a few questions.

Recently my bulb behind all my climate controls went out so now only the green bulbs for the actual switches light up. It's not a huge pain (since I have all the different settings memorized :laugh: ), but it's still a pain, especially when someone else wants to adjust them at night.

I did see the bulb flash back on at one point very briefly maybe a few months ago, but besides that I haven't seen them on in a pretty long time. Does this mean I need to change the bulb, or is there maybe just a loose wire somewhere? Everything works besides the bulb, so I'm guessing it's the bulb rather than a connection issue. I've looked all over the forums here but I haven't found a thread for the climate controls I have.

My climate controls look like this (this isn't my rig, but these are the same as what's in mine only flipped since this looks like it's a right hand drive WD21): help01.JPG

If this has been posted elsewhere and I just haven't seen it please go easy on me... I swear I can only get the search to search what I actually want like half the time! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

• Like 2

Likely just the bulb. Looks like you just strip the dash down like that picture (obviously not the cluster, just the center bit) and the seven screws around it hold it in. Everything just plugs into it apparently. Be careful if you have to remove the top vents to get at the plugs, those mount tabs are crazy brittle. Looks like HA-97 of the '95 manual has a good exploded view of the unit that tells you where the bulbs are.

Edit: looks like you don't even have to take the box apart! The two bulbs appear to mount into the top of the unit, in the little depression between the waffle-pattern areas.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Likely just the bulb. Looks like you just strip the dash down like that picture (obviously not the cluster, just the center bit) and the seven screws around it hold it in. Everything just plugs into it apparently. Be careful if you have to remove the top vents to get at the plugs, those mount tabs are crazy brittle. Looks like HA-97 of the '95 manual has a good exploded view of the unit that tells you where the bulbs are.

Edit: looks like you don't even have to take the box apart! The two bulbs appear to mount into the top of the unit, in the little depression between the waffle-pattern areas.

Thanks! I may or may not have time to do another tear down this weekend, but when I do I'll be sure to post my results! And hopefully some pictures...

Slartibartfast is right - there are two bulbs that just seat with a 1/2 turn. One has a black base and one a grey base, but otherwise appear to be the same. (I had to replace mine last year.)

But a little warning: they're very strange bulbs. Local dealer said they couldn't order them, but I got lucky and pulled a few from the JY that worked.

Just went out to the spare parts container to get some pics. First one is location of the two bulbs - it's on the top of the unit, hidden under a small cover.

PF-AC1.jpg

Just pry up the cover and you'll see the two bulb bases.

PF-AC2.jpg

Here are pics of the bulbs.

PF-AC3.jpg

I couldn't get the bulbs out of the bases - I think they're 1 piece - which is why I said they were weird. You may be able to solder in the ones that MY1PATH mentioned. :shrug:

I forgot, the wires from the bulb wrap around the base. You have to un-tuck them, straighten them and then the bulb will slide out.

Those are not mini wedge, I was wrong. :(

Edited by MY1PATH

Can I just mention that in the first pic, up above the climate control top right, is an electric connector, with a yellow plastic piece on it with pink wired. That is actually for the illumination for the altimeter. So you could always go buy an led bulb, drill out the hole bigger in the climate control, connect some wires up to the bulb and to the altimeter connector using spade connectors into that connection, then you'll have an aftermarket illumination set up plus it should be a bit brighter with led.

• 11 months later...

Bumping because even though it took me a whole year (I've been busy and this was low on my list of priorities), I figured I would end the year on a high note and finally fix this. I tore apart my dash again and got the climate controls out to the point where I could access the bulbs, and one of the bulbs is just flat out gone. :laugh::laugh: Everything ever done on my Pathy has been by my family or our mechanic, so the seeing the black bulb being gone puzzles me a lot. The grey bulb was there however, but it seems fine. I'm going to replace that bulb, but where the hell did the black bulb go? And if I can't find it, is there any way to purchase a replacement? Thanks guys!

Update: Tested the bulb, it's not burnt out. That means that my climate controls somehow turned on, on their own, and then shut off again after a brief 30 seconds. So the question I ask now, is how that bulb made a temporary connection and worked but now doesn't work at all? Any guidance?

One last post, it's fixed. Sorry for the last two posts, they're basically unnecessary. Either the bulb wires weren't wrapped around the plastic mount well enough, or it just wasn't seated correctly, because now after re-wrapping the wires and tinkering with the way the bulb sits everything functions the way it should. Awesome to have my climate control lights back!!

Edited by Bobsteriffic

Just a few questions.

Recently my bulb behind all my climate controls went out so now only the green bulbs for the actual switches light up. It's not a huge pain (since I have all the different settings memorized :laugh: ), but it's still a pain, especially when someone else wants to adjust them at night.

I did see the bulb flash back on at one point very briefly maybe a few months ago, but besides that I haven't seen them on in a pretty long time. Does this mean I need to change the bulb, or is there maybe just a loose wire somewhere? Everything works besides the bulb, so I'm guessing it's the bulb rather than a connection issue. I've looked all over the forums here but I haven't found a thread for the climate controls I have.

My climate controls look like this (this isn't my rig, but these are the same as what's in mine only flipped since this looks like it's a right hand drive WD21): help01.JPG

If this has been posted elsewhere and I just haven't seen it please go easy on me... I swear I can only get the search to search what I actually want like half the time! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

this like mine i need a control box where denver can i get it ???? one way heat ...postal worker ...

I fully agree with Slartibartfast. I went searching at the local yards and found an identical dash in a '93 which I had never seen before. Pulled the missing bulb from that climate controller and I'm fully back in business. Good luck mate!