The "Betsy" build

cntryboy_88

Looking good! What's the tube diameter used, though? I'd expect less space between the bolt holes and the weld if using a 4"ID tube, which I think is what's required to clear the strut mount.

Take a look at the mount and KrF's spacers:

28_ANCHOR_703954_1__ra_p.jpg

PFstrutspacers.jpg

You can see on the KrF spacers they couldn't weld near the holes. I CAD'd up the strut mount surface based on an extra spacer I have, and its got a 4"ID (it's the same spacer I run on my truck, and IIRC, it's a good fit), and my CAD shows about a 1/2" space.

Looking good! What's the tube diameter used, though? I'd expect less space between the bolt holes and the weld if using a 4"ID tube, which I think is what's required to clear the strut mount.

Take a look at the mount and KrF's spacers:

28_ANCHOR_703954_1__ra_p.jpg

PFstrutspacers.jpg

You can see on the KrF spacers they couldn't weld near the holes. I CAD'd up the strut mount surface based on an extra spacer I have, and its got a 4"ID (it's the same spacer I run on my truck, and IIRC, it's a good fit), and my CAD shows about a 1/2" space.

Yea I've got that picture...I'm not sure the tube diameter it definitely looks smaller but not by to much really I wouldn't even think more than half an inch less

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally! I got the motor out...this was the biggest pain in the butt ever...the transmission didn't want to separate from the engine then it didn't want to come off the torque converter but it finally did come out!

d16529777cb5951372ac286997bd7a7a.jpg

7bf853506f3d9d28019968bc69ee41ff.jpg

• Like 2

Took out the rack and pinion tonight to prep for the new one to go in...let's just say I'm glad I got a new one and there was caked oil all over everything from the last engine

51aee347ec783b8280b9c9490f109560.jpg43a9827aa824e5606b9950994cc832bc.jpg56c25a2fd4d4350330a6503491c718a2.jpg

• Like 1

That's great rust protection :)

Lol now you say something after its cleaned off...jk but I am gonna spray my strut towers inside the engine bay...I've had the recall work done but still some rust on the engine side

You stated that you were planning on 35x12.5x15..... any thoughts on swapping out the 4.36 gears to 4.63 ? I run 32x10.5x17 and it is a bit sluggish. Should be able to find a set in junkyard pretty easy. The plate under the hood on passenger side firewall will show gear ration - Either HG43 or HG46. Also comes in LSD which you can identify by the rear diff label "USE LSD OIL ONLY"

Warn manual hubs installed!!

Also in the process of trying to install my sfd kit however my rear blocks are being stubborn...so more to come hopefully soon..once the kit is in new engine will go in

eecf60c112cf95b35f9c8ca3006a7aa6.jpg

Well on hold for a little bit...I ordered the new subframe bolts today should be here in 5-7 business days...then I can install my sfd but before the new engine gets put in going to fix the strut towers...nissan did the work about a year ago but only on the inner strut towers...the strut tower on the passenger side in the engine bay is starting to separate and on the drivers side a pretty bad rust spot so I'm gonna have Leon (guy making sfd's now) fix her up right and rust proof it then the new engine will go in...I called nissan today and they said go screw yourself on the job we did wrong so whatever...pics below

Passenger side

110f416ccd7b8438f46bd12709c00795.jpg

Drivers side

2eeb0e2e49097ce1ad39b4cf0ec780b2.jpg

a0b4ca9a9509a40386e5e7d24d09465c.jpg

Besty got her new heart tonight!!!!

2001 3.5 with 120k miles on it... transmission and transfer case as well

I've begun the process of stripping the old engine and it's gonna be a couple weeks before I pull the motor because I'm also doing my subframe drop in the process which will be easier with the motor out and I'm currently waiting for that to be made and I still have to order more parts...however I will keep posting on here as I go through the process...it's gonna be a fun future ahead for myself!

Do you know if the 5 speed from a 97 r50 would mount up to a 3.5?

• Like 1

No it would not everything about the transmissions are different

Shoot my 3.3 is a turd :thumbsdown:. What would be sweet is if you could swap the 5.6 out of a Titan into an R50 :laugh:. I guess i'll just stick with 3.3 for now.

Yea my 3.3 had 205k miles and had a rear main seal leak so it was time to go...plus I got a great deal on the new motor...a 5.6 would be pretty sweet...way to big for our engine bay

Yea my 3.3 had 205k miles and had a rear main seal leak so it was time to go...plus I got a great deal on the new motor...a 5.6 would be pretty sweet...way to big for our engine bay

Mines got 170k with a rear main leak now plus its got about 500 dollars worth of sensors that need to be replaced :wacko: causing me to get 12 mpg!

Mines got 170k with a rear main leak now plus its got about 500 dollars worth of sensors that need to be replaced :wacko: causing me to get 12 mpg!

Check Craigslist for junk pathfinders around your area that's how I scored my engine and transmission for $500...guy just didn't need it he was rebuilding the rear end of another pathy and didn't need anything off the front

Check Craigslist for junk pathfinders around your area that's how I scored my engine and transmission for $500...guy just didn't need it he was rebuilding the rear end of another pathy and didn't need anything off the front

I never thought of that. I'll start looking!

54625fef865b712620ec9cb44c28744c.jpg

So spent 4 hrs yesterday at the junkyard pulling this dash harness...all I need is the trans wiring and 4x4 switch wiring but it's all intertwined soooo it looks like I'm probably replacing mine which I didn't want to do...I can't keep my manual shifter lever so I'm gonna install a metal plate where the 4x4 shifter lever used to be in insert the new switch like so...

aa43ccf12f875f53da167b40d59c3237.jpg

Got the new harness labeled today...a few plugs I don't remember but not anything important...headed back to the junkyard next weekend to pull the wires that run from the end of this one to the connectors under the car to the trans and I will have all new wiring harnesses in my possession...ain't nothing like completely rewiring a whole car pretty much

Well subframe blocks are in!! Finally got my new bolts from nissan today

a1768000ca2efb5be08d7a2db4820a16.jpg

And new rack and pinion is also in the process of getting installed

94efaa26bcbe5eba3abeb8f619704026.jpg

Besty will be rolling by the weekend cause I need to get my garage cleaned up its a mess right now

• Like 1