Fixing the exhaust

NovaPath

On my last trip to Rausch Creek I managed to put a massive dent in my mid pipe muffler and in the process pushed it rearward about 2" so that it is now hitting on my hitch nicely. I'm thinking about just taking a hack saw, and cutting both sections before the mid pipe and installing two new flex couplings and at the same time removing 2" of material so that the exhaust fits back where it should.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone see a downside to doing this?

2. Does anyone know off hand the exhaust diameter?

Thanks!

Let me pose a simple fix assuming I have a full gasp on this.

My rear resonator fell off sometime ago and I eventually took it off the truck all together and after posting about it, a few kind fellows on here suggested I hack what was left of the rear section that was running down the mid muffler, to prevent exhaust potentially making its way into the cabin. So this cut was right about where the rear muffler and it points right at the rear axle.

From what it sounds like, you might be able to do that and not have to mod the exhaust so much. If you find my build thread "college kids DD" thread, you should find some pics of what I'm talking about.

-Kyle

I thought about doing that too, I smashed up that muffler as well offroading. The damn thing hangs so low. I think if you did that you would have to replace the back resonator with an actual muffler, because without the middle one its loud, like straight piped Harley loud.

Edited by patqx4
  • Like 1

It does right? I'm not planning on removing it, just cutting both of the "y" pipes and allowing the exhaust to settle back forward an inch or two. Will then be patching it back together where I took it apart.

I'm not terribly familiar with R50 exhaust, but when the exhaust on my '93 was hitting/rattling against the tow bar (I think I pushed the pipe around too much trying to remove the front driveshaft), I just undid the rearmost exhaust hanger, pushed the tip down with my foot a few times to bend the pipe, then bolted the hanger back up. No more rattle.