2002 Oil leak at main real seal. Serious?

oklafornia

Hey Guys, I just purchased a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2wd automatic with 156k for $3,000. The truck looks and runs great, but I expected a few hiccups considering the price I paid. I took it into the dealership to get a free oil change, and naturally they gave me a laundry list of things that it needs. Most of it was pretty standard; brakes, fan belt, etc, but the one thing I am concerned about is that there's an oil leak at the main rear seal where the engine connects to the transmission. They quoted me at $1,100 to replace the seal, which I already knew was extremely high.

I decided not to have any work done at the dealership. There are plenty of Nissan repair shops in LA who will do honest work for half the price. I'm taking it in to a place called Independent Nissan in Eagle Rock on Saturday to get a full inspection, but in the meantime I was hoping someone could weigh in on my oil leak issue to help determine how serious it is.

I placed a piece of cardboard underneath the engine after I got home from work. Here is a photo of drip spot after 2 hours of sitting. Keep in mind I just had the oil changed yesterday, so the oil is at it's finest consistency. I dabbed it with my finger it seems like it may have only been a drop or two. I repositioned the cardboard so I can see how much it drips overnight.

I love this car, but realistically I doubt I will keep it more than a year or two before trading it in. Is this something worth fixing? Or can I get by for a while assuming I keep an eye on my fluids and the leak doesn't worsen?

Thanks in advance!!

unnamed-2.jpg

Edited by oklafornia

That's no problem whatsoever as long as you keep tabs on your oil level and don't ever let it drop below the dipstick's hash marks.

You could leave that without any concerns whatsoever....just get in the habit of checking your oil level every time you put gas in it.

• Like 2

That's no problem whatsoever as long as you keep tabs on your oil level and don't ever let it drop below the dipstick's hash marks.

You could leave that without any concerns whatsoever....just get in the habit of checking your oil level every time you put gas in it.

Great to hear. Thank you for the input!