Pathfinder & Jiffy Lube Not Good

PathXE1

Well, I recently had my oil changed at jiffy lube biggest mistake. My 95 pathfinder was acting just fine before the oil change,then when I went to get gas the car started to die out when running & in full stops & takes some time to start-up. Is it possible that they might have touched or damaged something & if they did what could it possibly be? Any advice would help.

Thanks

From what I've heard of iffy lube, the first thing I'd do is make sure they did actually put oil back in it.

Check the vacuum lines, they're in the same general vicinity as the dipstick so they could've gotten bumped. You can also check the connectors in that area, particularly the wiring to the MAF sensor, for looseness and/or corrosion.

This is why I never let anyone else change the oil. The last time I ever let a mechanic change my oil was in 2006. The guy didn't change the oil filter

and I know that he didn't because it was still covered in grime. I've been doing my own oil changes ever since then and plus if I make a mistake then I

can only blame myself. It's also peace of mind knowing that you've done the job properly and added the correct oil amount.

I've heard of them over filling the crankcase too.

I let very few shops work on my vehicles. And that's only things I can't do on my own. Which is probably just alignments. And they usually don't do a great job. Never have I seen my pickup or Pathfinder in the green on all specs. If you're going to adjust the toe, make sure they're close to equal, not just the screen turned green. Flat rate brings out the worst...

Uh rant over I suppose.

• Like 1

I agree with the others. My 1986 D21 pickup has 323K miles. I have changed the oil on it since new. The only couple of times someone else worked on it was for clutch replacements.

Hard to say, but sounds like a possible fuel issue as well; the fuel lines are right there on the frame by the filter. Not sure what they could have done, but never underestimate the power of stupidity.

A definite yes to check the vacuum lines as well. Also, it can't hurt to check the ECU for stored codes, sometimes that can pinpoint things.

Like others, I do 98% of my own work because of problems (and outright lies) in the past. I once took my D720 in for an oil change just before a smog test, and the tech actually disconnected the lead to the alternator, so the vehicle wasn't charging. I caught it within a few miles because it had a volt meter gauge, reconnected it and drove back. Funny thing was that I told the owner, showed him on the vehicle when he said "The tech wasn't anywhere near the alternator" since you have to reach right past it, and the whole time he was denying it even though I told him I didn't want anything, I just wanted him to make sure his techs were more careful because it would strand most people.

Well, the business was gone within a year...

B

I saw one where the vehicle had fresh red coolant added, brake fluid was changed and bled and fresh transmission fluid was filled before taking it to a workshop garage. The idiots changed the coolant to green coolant, which was the incorrect color and spec for the vehicle. They also claimed to have changed and bled the brake fluid and done a trans flush. These procedures were completely unnecessary if they checked the color of the trans fluid they would have seen and smelled that it was brand new and the brakes were in top operational condition. They just try to find extra charges to trick unsuspecting customers. The vehicle was taken back to the garage and the owner was shown the video of another mechanic who had done the service before taking to them. The owner bluntly complained saying that the services WERE REQUIRED! There was a court order served on them and they were done for wrongly charging extra costs on numerous occasions and were shut down.

One of the Jiffy Lube's in Everett, WA failed to refill an ex-coworkers company vehicle (full-sized Dodge cargo van) one time when it was there for a basic oil change. He made it a couple blocks before the knocking started.

There's a Jiffy Lube near my place that put the wrong oil filter on a Corvette, which blew it off a few blocks away and hosed the motor.

They never did my vg30 powered Pathfinder wrong though! I hate that filter location.

Yeah funny enough, all the times I brought my pathy in for an oil change when being lazy, I looked afterward and it was done just as good as I would have. They even washed the oil off the starter for me.

To me it sounds like the maf wiring is flaky. And I bet they messed with the air filter housing to check the filter. Wiggle the wires and see what happens.

For $40 they change your oil, get rid of the waste junk, clean your windows, make sure all your lights work, top off your windshield washer tank (unlimited refills btw, you just have to stop in!), vacuum the floorboards, and on my truck they always checked the diff and tc oil levels, and I got to sit in their nice warm space and read car magazines I wouldn't normally see. I mean, really... who wouldn't?

Edited by silverton

Ah, the waiting room, I can just imagine it now. The smell of stale tobacco wafting in from somewhere and I bet there's a coffee machine in the corner that doesn't work/hasn't been serviced in years and a spider web in the corner that has been there since 1995.

For $40 they change your oil, get rid of the waste junk, clean your windows, make sure all your lights work, top off your windshield washer tank (unlimited refills btw, you just have to stop in!), vacuum the floorboards, and on my truck they always checked the diff and tc oil levels, and I got to sit in their nice warm space and read car magazines I wouldn't normally see. I mean, really... who wouldn't?

Me.

B

Me either. They lunched my buddy's Sprinter motor a few weeks ago. Forgot to tighten the drain plug. We've had a few of their mishaps come though my shop. Three in the last year actually, one being a Subaru diff they forgot to put fluid back in after draining it.

And just about every car that comes in with a JiffyLube sticker has an oil filter that's so tight it gets destroyed coming off. Pisses me off.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1