Factory Trans fluid temp Sensor WD21 wiring location?

stovanovich

This may have been covered before but I am going to install a Transmission Fluid temp gauge whilst I'm upgrading all my cooling system & trans cooler.
Does anyone know where the factory sensor wiring is located & whether I can tap into this for my gauge? I know the sensor itself is located in the oil pan but was hoping there was better access to it a little closer to the engine bay / dash.

Failing that I'll just do what everyone else has done and run a brass T fitting into the pre-cooler line.

i haven't done the trans temp upgrade myself but I wouldn't play with the original sensor wiring, given the age of these beasts. You don't want to suddenly be without overdrive or something like that.

Just use the brass T fitting into the cooler line and make sure you cover the wiring with heat resistant tubing then zip tie it away from any fan belts.

While on the subject of gauges a simple volt meter gauge can be hooked up to the back of the cig socket, there's a ground and a positive connection there.

As a bonus, the cig socket only goes on with ignition, thus the gauge will work in the same manner,

• Like 1

I don't think the stock temp sensor will help you as all it does is just warn you ehwencthe temp gets hot. In order for you to reuse the wiring you would have to drop your pan and swap out the sensor for the Guage sensor you're using. As mentioned, you're better off in putting a t in the line. There's a writeup somewhere here.

• 2 weeks later...