Transmission oil coolers

Dave.Bert

Hello

I know there is an issue with the in the radiator transmission cooler and would like to install an external one.

Should i get an aftermarket one or is there a OEM one from another vehicle that would fit?

Is there already a thread about Trans coolers?

thank Ya All

Going to the junkyard myself this afternoon and that's one of the items on the list.

From what I've googled -- looking for a large plate style cooler off a Ford (250 or 350 series) or GM/Chevy HD (2500 or 3500 series) pickups or vans. They are typically about 11" square depending on the application as I understand it. Hopefully later today I'll have a picture of what I pulled and what it came off of!

Here is what I pullled:

image_zpsmscx6et1.jpg

Found the same cooler on a 97 Ford van with a Triton V10 and an 01 with a Triton V8. Nice thing is it has barbed fittings for easy install.

Here is the cooler from a 99 Chevy Suburban.

image_zpstsxwdria.jpg

Similar cooler to the Ford but has hard lines - so would need to find the appropriate fittings to adapt to hose.

I got lucky when I went looking, found an aftermarket one installed in a Pathfinder! I walked past the Chevy ones, they all had those funky hard line connections and ain't nobody got time for that.

There are a few threads on sizing and installation. I did a writeup ages ago when I put mine in. Before you mount the cooler, make sure you have room to route the hoses, I wasn't as careful as I could've been with that when I moved the cooler to my current rig and had to get creative with the hose routing.

• Like 1