LED headlight bulbs

mickmutante

Drove to work in the the a.m. pre dawn and back home after dark. They are very bright and when next to a car equipped with HID's the hue and brightness was similar. Have not been flashed for blinding anyone but the light pattern does seem to be a little high and diffused. The interior of cars ahead of me are clearly illuminated. While my pathfinder is lifted, its not much over stock. Didnt have this problem before but maybe the old halogens were really that dull.

The high beams on the other hand are outrageous. Super bright. Like that a lot. I'll have to dig back into the housings, maybe remove the whole headliht assembly to see if there is a way to adjust the bulb so I can lower the direction of the beam.

• Like 2

Can you take a close up picture of your bulbs? Mine have diodes on 2 sides, one side for low and one side for high beam. When seated properly the diodes are on the sides of the bulb. This doesn't seem to add a lot of range to the high beam, just brightens the low beams. I tried to rotate them so that the diodes are up and down but didn't get them to sit right.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

Can you take a close up picture of your bulbs? Mine have diodes on 2 sides, one side for low and one side for high beam. When seated properly the diodes are on the sides of the bulb. This doesn't seem to add a lot of range to the high beam, just brightens the low beams. I tried to rotate them so that the diodes are up and down but didn't get them to sit right.

I may not grasp all the ins and outs of headlight design, but I would have expected the diodes to be top and bottom. With the high beams very possibly being on the bottom which would reflect off the bottom of the reflector thereby shining upward down the road.

The high beams on the other hand are outrageous. Super bright. Like that a lot. I'll have to dig back into the housings, maybe remove the whole headliht assembly to see if there is a way to adjust the bulb so I can lower the direction of the beam.

You can't adjust the bulb, but the entire assembly can be adjusted up/down left/right with the adjuster screws.

If that's not a good solution you could try to take your housings apart and craft a solution. I believe you can remove the glass from the metal by heating in the oven at 400 degrees to soften the glue.

If you simply scatter too much light upwards in to other people's eyes, perhaps blacking out the bottom surface of the reflector?

I may not grasp all the ins and outs of headlight design, but I would have expected the diodes to be top and bottom. With the high beams very possibly being on the bottom which would reflect off the bottom of the reflector thereby shining upward down the road.

this is exactly what I'm thinking too, and I found out that's how it is meant to be. The thing is, when I inserted the 3 prong seat that the bulb then clicks into with a quarter turn, they always ended up sideways. Only explanation I have is that the 3 prong seat (which is supposed to fit only one way) actually fit in the wrong way, causing the bulbs to lock in place half a rotation too far.

While the 3 prong ring in its proper position and the bulb seated in the ring causes the diodes to be sideways, it is possible to fit the ring in a way that will allow the bulb to sit with diodes up and down. Unfortunately the bulb doesn't fully lock in the seat in this case or else it would ait diagnonally. This seems to me like a manufacturing / design flaw. Or this happens on some vehicles but not on others that use the H4 type assembly.

However all said and done, I managed to adjust the bulbs and they seem to be seated well enough. Time will tell.

It's really hard to see in the light but the low and high beams now work as intended.

6245656fd4cf62529412fcdcf9d8c0ac.jpg

298d5c304c263e64897e3aaf5241bacb.jpg

Yeah I've got a messy garage lol

• Like 1

There are LED's on 4 sides of omy bulbs. I had the same issue though. Despite only going in one way, when seated properly the diodes are not oriented correctly. This might be the reason for having such a high angled beam. But even still, when using the housing adjustment it does nothing. Maybe housing adjustments are broken? Possibly but not likely that both are broke.

Today I received the led bulb for the Pathfinder fog lights....

They look good...

image_zpsoa1ndq7w.jpeg

But they do not fit in the case.. The bulbs are too large and the case has a square hole that is too small for the led bulb diameter...

I think i am going to make a lamp with them... Hahahahahahah

image_zpsatapitby.jpeg

image_zpslswpiowb.jpeg

Maybe I can modify the case.. But i do not want to do it...

Simple, get a pair of fog lights from a junk yard for dirt cheap, modify them to fit those, and you're all set. Or modify the ones you have and if you need to switch back to OEM for whatever reason, get a pair from a JY. Those bulbs looks great, projector lens and all!

Simple, get a pair of fog lights from a junk yard for dirt cheap, modify them to fit those, and you're all set. Or modify the ones you have and if you need to switch back to OEM for whatever reason, get a pair from a JY. Those bulbs looks great, projector lens and all!

Yeah, the bulbs look great... But here is difficult to have access to a JY as in the US... I will look for some used or something to do the experiment... 👍

We have... But it is different... When you crash a car they send it to the "patios" where the authority confiscate the car... Some cars never go out.... But you can not buy parts from them...

You have some stores where you can buy used parts... But some are illegal... A lot of them... So you do not know if the parts are stolen or not.... 😓

Buy from someone in the states and have it shipped. Even with a bit of a surcharge and shipping it would still be pretty cheap to get fog light housings. Just a thought.

Sent from my Pathfinder

I have sported LED headlights from the beginning of last year. Looked back at my amazon and found I purchase them Jan 2nd (2015). The Genessi (sp) H4 Cree. Not thrilled - but here are the pics.

Pulled them out so you can see them. Low from top, High from bottom. Not great in reflector housings.

24070396400_c417def703_c.jpg 23739157643_a6076ab2fb_c.jpg 24070395880_d7c8c2b6f6_c.jpg 23739158573_26bc9080d4_c.jpg

Output at night - the camera makes them look fantastic. The yellow are my HID fogs (2700k). Headlights outshine them a few feet on high.

23739147553_3441c3f003_c.jpg 24365958885_eb05a52ab7_c.jpg

• Like 1

The problem I have had with the LED globes, is that the cooling fan setup on them does not take kindly to water, and definitely not mud.

One mud bog and you dont make it back home if you driving back at night.

Halogen globes you can seal up and you have no rubbish hanging off them like HID or LED globes have.

I sported a set LED globes for three days. The first time I needed lights, they cooked in a few minutes because the fans were bogged in mud.

All this fandangle electrickery is just a pain when you actually use your vehicle for what it was built for, and you need that reliability so you are not stuck next to the road at some stooopid hour.

Our vehicles are already fairly high, and now mine with a 7" lift and headlights at 1,2 meter off the ground, I can't keep my lights out of the rear windows and mirrors of people driving in front of me.

To add the frustration of crappy beam patterns to this, I'm going to have people getting physical with me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hear ya. I was actually able to fit the fan housing inside the rubber seal. So far in the winter it has never overheated. Might be different in the summer. But I carry 2 halogen bulbs with me whenever I go anywhere just in case the above happens. But even if it did, I still have plenty of other lights to back me up :)

Sent from my Pathfinder

Ha, funny CDN, I also carry 2 halogen bulbs with me just in case. No troubles overheating mine over the last year, been in winter and freezing temps (ok, nothing less than 10 degrees F) but the rubber seal fits nicely around the adaptor and the LED modules are removable quite easily. One thing I have not tried, MUD. Mine are waterproof, but mud could stop them easily.

• 2 weeks later...

New to the boards, but this is my second R50. I got tired of the old, dingy looking halogens, and the Chinese HID kits last about 6-8 months at best. I opted to go with LED hi/lo kit and love them. They were a little bit of a pain to install, as I had to remove the housings to get them to sit nicely and seal. I modified the rubber flap on the back (I have the black/clear housings) and they seem to work well. I live in FL, and am also 2WD. I won't see much off roading, with the exception of some camp sites and such. I am happy with them so far though (not my daily though). I also have LED fog light bulbs as well. They aren't bad. I added LED off road lights to my bull bar also (those are bright). Ordered LED light bar for the roof yesterday. Putting some more off road LEDs out back for night loading and backing up. I am happy with all of them for my use. I dont have any pics of the LED fogs, but here the others. They are all 6000K color.

00_path_LED_heads.jpg

• Like 1

Like that shot! I thought for a moment it was my rig - but the bar gave it away. (just waking up). Same housings, LED in the same location, all black. Everything LED accept HID in my fogs, and the hiding driving lights behind grill (removed). My LEDs were never as good as yours. I believe I may have purchased something of a lesser quality.

20964071226_51b9cf5a2f_c.jpg

• 3 months later...

After seaching some on the web for cheap... Really cheap fog lights to cut them and adapt the LED bulbs... I deceided not to buy them... They where out of the budget... I am planning to install Fleury's spacers, buy a hitch, and have to change CV joints or axles...

So I bought Osram Night braker H3 bulbs.... I took those pictures today... The light and the cel camera doesn't help at all.... But the Osram bulbs are a little whiter and brighter than the Philips....

image_zpslu471rxp.jpeg

• Like 1