Bump stop options?

patqx4

Stupidly, I didn't replace my missing rear axle bump stops, and with 32's and no sway bar I overflexed and popped a flare.

This got me wondering if there are any bigger bump stops that will fit our trucks. Obviously stock ones will be better than none but I vaguely remember seeing somewhere on here where someone had bigger or extended length stops.

I used body lift spacers (3"W x 2"H p/n BB02) and 50mm longer hardware on mine (and some nylocks to simplify installation). TownDawg's PO apparently put JK bumpstops on...probably bored out the hole and tapped it. I while back, I took some measurements on a 96-ish Toyota 4Runner, and it looks like those would be a perfect fit, too...I'd have to dig up my notes, but IIRC, the bolt used and style was practically identical.

IMG_2924.jpg

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 2

Oh man, that's perfect! So the hole in the spacer is the right size for the stock bolt? I think I'm going to get the BB01 1" flavor of these. Thanks hawairish

Actually, the hole in the spacer was a bit oversized (5/8"?), but that's where the nylock comes in. I used the nylock to attach the bolt to the OE bumpstop...this allowed installing the bumpstop onto the truck by hand (getting a socket inside the rubber was kind of a pain), and also centered up the bumpstop when installed.

I used an 8mm x 1.25 x 70mm tap bolt and corresponding nylock...45mm-50mm should be fine for a 1" spacer.

Edited by hawairish

Actually, the hole in the spacer was a bit oversized (5/8"?), but that's where the nylock comes in. I used the nylock to attach the bolt to the OE bumpstop...this allowed installing the bumpstop onto the truck by hand (getting a socket inside the rubber was kind of a pain), and also centered up the bumpstop when installed.

I used an 8mm x 1.25 x 70mm tap bolt and corresponding nylock...45mm-50mm should be fine for a 1" spacer.

Thanks for that info, you don't happen to also remember the socket size of the stock bolt do you?

My local Nissan dealer wants $108 per bumpstop... Yeah, no thanks. I've looked around and can't find an oe aftermarket replacement, so I got the Energy Suspension 9-9143R.

They look like they will squish more than the OEM one so I went with the BB02, if it turns out to be too much, I'll switch to the BB01.

Edited by patqx4

These Febest ones are OE for $27/ea US: http://www.amazon.com/Febest-Nissan-Bumper-Spring-55240-0W010/dp/B00C6MTQIW. 55240-0W010 is the Nissan p/n...they run about about $50 from Courtesy Parts.

I want to say it was a 10mm head...I probably still have the bolts laying around somewhere to confirm.

You'll find that the Energy set you ordered are a bit narrower at the base by about an inch, and also shorter than stock by about the same. I was going to install the exact pair on my buddy's R50 when we did his SFD, except with 2"D x 3"H spacers. I wasn't a big fan of this setup for a few reasons, but it was cheaper than OE (I discovered the Febest ones later), and we end up going a different direction anyway for his AirLift 1000s. Also, the hole in the center of the ES ones is pretty large, so plan on using washers. The ES actually felt firmer than the OE ones, though.

Well, crap! I guess I should have asked you first.. itchy trigger finger. Oh well it's on its way now, the ES bump stops are actually 2.5" wide, so .5" less than stock, and 3/8" hole. They have a smaller 2" diameter set that looks the same as well. I'll update this thread once they're installed and tested.

Edited by patqx4

• 3 weeks later...

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you tightened down the nylon nut inside the body spacer? Was it difficult to get a socket in there?

Edit: I'm an idiot, disregard that. I had to think way too hard about that to visualize what you meant.

Edited by patqx4

• 1 year later...

This is kind of similar subject, based on title and trying to avoid an unnecessary new thread:

I have noticed on my front, the bump stop are cracked, on the driver side, it's in two pieces. Pathy still drives smoothly like a true pavement queen. Should I be concerned with replacing them any time soon? I live in winter snowy climate and not sure if I could manage the replacement on my own, even if I could have all the tools on on hand.

Thanks for your time!

Similar subject, but different truck, different placement on truck, and different bumpstop style altogether. For R50's, the front bumpstop installs on the strut inside the coil spring and requires complete disassembly of the strut to replace. For the WD21 (if it's anything like my Frontier) it's a button-style bumpstop (a rubber pad with a threaded stud sticking out of it) that bolts to the frame. There's usually a larger lower bumpstop, and a smaller upper one. I don't think it'd take much more than a socket and ratchet to replace them (that's all it takes on the Frontier, which has a very similar frame), but you may want to confirm that with the WD21 guys.

Generally speaking, they should be replaced when worn. If your suspension needs to cycle through a bump, they protect against metal-on-metal contact, which can cause damage.

Darn, didn't want to have to worry about metal on metal. I just see this "rubber" coil covering the shock/ strut that is broken or cracked.

BTW this is for a R50, I know the picture shows my other baby. Maybe I should had specified that so I don't confuse?

Thank you for your help!

Gotcha, my bad. Yep, I went by the picture and year on the profile.

Does the cracked part look like one of these two things?

s-l225.jpg

The black part is just a dust cover for the strut rod. These just seem to disintegrate over time. If that's toast on yours, I wouldn't worry about replacing it until the struts and/or springs need changing.

The yellow/white part is the actual bumpstop, and it tucks into the dust cover. If that's cracked or split into two, you'll probably be okay under normal driving conditions. I'd be certain that there are several other members who don't even have them installed and it's probably not an issue...though I'd also guess they have lift springs to almost obsolete the bumpstop's purpose. If you're on stock springs and the truck tends to bounce a bit, just keep in mind that the spring effectively becomes the bumpstop, which can be harsh on the spring or strut's spring bucket. If you're in the rust belt, just something to be mindful of.

And either way, as noted above, installing these requires full disassembly of the strut. Probably not worth changing unless you're replacing other things.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

Yup, the bigger one. I was trying to figure out the actual name for it before I posted on here, but a website called the dustcovers bump stops. Truck doesn't bump at all, quite a smooth ride. Such a huge difference from my WD21 :}~ I found a small crack in the CV boot dust cover -and that has a Nissan symbol, so most of what's on this truck could be original -I've only owned the R50 since December.

Thanks again! You've been extremely helpful!!! :wub:

Edited by PamPoovey