timing and distributer issues

amfq120

So my Pathfinder had a little bit of a stutter occasionally when I press the gas more than half throttle. I pulled the distributor out to try to turn it one tooth hoping that the timing was just off a little, but now it won't start. I smell a little bit of hot electrical smell. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do to get it running? I've tried turning the key just a little bit until the timing marks are visible on the crank pulley

I've tried turning the key a little until the timing marks are aligned roughly, and then inserted the distributor with the rotor pointed towards the number one cylinder, but it still won't start.

I'm following the Haynes manual to the best of my ability. from what I can tell the number 1 cylinder is the front left one, I follow that wire to the distributor cap and then point the rotor at that while the crank pulley is on the second Tic which should be TTC

That's where I have it set, would it still not start even if it was close? I've been smelling hot electrical from somewhere between the battery and firewall, it's not the fuses there, they don't smell or look burnt. I also heard a rapid clicking noise coming from right behind the engine above the trans...starting to think I may have blown something somehow.