01 R50 Subframe damage help

PrecisionX

I found this damage when I did my first oil change on my recently purchased rust free Texas Pathfinder. It was hidden under the splash guard. It appears to be a subframe component. I didn't figure the guy who previously owned it would still be driving it if it wasn't safe or if it was serious as he is a recently retired F16 pilot with small kids but who knows. Can anyone give me an assessment of this? He said he slid into a snowbank 2 years ago and had to be winched out. There are no leaks and no other components damaged other than this. The front tires were super worn on the inside and had to be replaced so I got 4 new tires and after alignment I would never have noticed damage unless I saw it hence the post. What kind of parts and labor am I looking at?

50D26A5D-18F7-4EB9-BF4F-23B35DE35785_zps

Well, if it aligned alright then there must not be any extreme damage... but still.

I would think it would have brought the lower control arms closer together thus creating positive camber, or maybe in your case some exfessive toe which can also wear the inside of the tire.

• Like 1

The alignment analysis after my tires showed that the toe was out of line not the camber. Since the alignment it drives fine and straight at any speed but before with the old tires I'd get steering wheel shake at 60 ish and it'd go away at 70. Like I said I couldn't tell at all before I went to change my oil.

You could probably get a new crossmember at the junkyard and install it yourself if you have the means. New parts are probably going to be pricey. At least the bolts don't look corroded so it should come apart easy. Anything from 96-04 will work IIRC.

That looks a lot more than a snowbank did that. Almost looks like they drove into a concrete parking barrier or something. Idiots.

• Like 1

Isn't the splashguard attached to that? I would think there'd be a big gap on the back side.

Too bad you're not closer to AZ...two R50s at the JY I frequent have the subframes pulled and sitting by the truck. One even has the front diff pulled, removed by yours truly. Swapping it won't be fun, but it's all just bolt-on stuff.

I got an estimate over the phone from one place "ballpark $1,100.00" and a shop said $1800.00 after looking at it. The part being $800 ish. They said they'd install a used one but it'd have to be rust free so I'm just assuming new.

I might make a trip the JY this weekend for some other stuff. Want me to see what it costs? I doubt it'd be $800 to buy and ship it across the country. AZ = low/no rust.

May also want to talk to some of the guys in the For Sale section...I think there are some part-outs, though also in the E/NE areas so probably some rust.

• Like 2

I might make a trip the JY this weekend for some other stuff. Want me to see what it costs? I doubt it'd be $800 to buy and ship it across the country. AZ = low/no rust.

May also want to talk to some of the guys in the For Sale section...I think there are some part-outs, though also in the E/NE areas so probably some rust.

Yea that'd be great. Let me know what you come up with

You could probably get a new crossmember at the junkyard and install it yourself if you have the means. New parts are probably going to be pricey. At least the bolts don't look corroded so it should come apart easy. Anything from 96-04 will work IIRC.

That looks a lot more than a snowbank did that. Almost looks like they drove into a concrete parking barrier or something. Idiots.

I was thinking that also

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

We have a lot more snow and ice up here, as opposed to Texas and I've never seen a snow bank (even after frozen for weeks) do that kind of damage. That looks like it was either run up onto something pretty hard at a good speed, or dropped on something somehow.

• 7 years later...