95 pathfinder - starter relay/inhibitor location ( i know )

BendRed

So I have searched the web and here and everybody says its either on the fender wall of the passenger side or directly behind the charcoal filter on the driver side .

I have looked and all I have on the fender wall are 3 blue single relays and behind the charcoal canister is one orange relay.

Nothing that looks like the dual electrical plug in starter relay I got from the store to replace the faulty one.

Does it make a difference my car is from canada ?

I will post pics of the 2 locations shortly for you all to disect

HHhhmmmm.... Mine has blue, gray and 1 black relay. The fact that is is from Canada may make a difference since we have DTRL legislation, exhaust component legislation and stringent clean air legislation. California cars like Precise1's and the rest of the crew is the same.

Anyway, mine on the driver's side ( behind the canister; run (from the outside in)) as 1 black, 1 gray, 1 blue and 3 blue ones on the passenger side outside of the box: 2 in front of it and 1 behind with one extra unused relay nearest to the firewall.

f62fda7937d5a8e38d7c2c9d922d9100.jpg

Blue one in the middle with the two connector plugs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I dont have that one. In fact I can see where the Phillips screws in your picture would go on my fender wall , but there is nothing there .

Strangeness

Thank you , so I guess to fix my no start ... its only sometime especially when its uber cold , all other times of the day its about 75% good , I need to replace the interlock switch ( relay) ?

Do you have a interlock switch on your dash? The schematic doesn't specify. It only shows signal to the starter solenoid directly from the ignition switch. I've ignition switches go bad in same year maximas. I've found the best way to check that is to wiggle the key back and forth when it is turned to the start/crank position, if it starts to crank it indicates poor contact internal the ignition switch. If it's the starter motor smacking it with a hammer and a long extension while having a buddy try to crank. If it starts turning it after smacking it that points to the starter motor or solenoid. But be really careful to not arc out the battery cables at the solenoid. That's about the best I can tell you.

5bee74e46c9ac8d4754b6715580c6e88.jpg

From what I'm seeing your vehicle does not have one.

Manual trans is the interlock switch.

Auto trans is the inhibitor switch.

Interlock switch and relay to clarify for a manual trans US vehicle.

Maybe it just a fuse! Look at that pic top right hand corner. I see a couple fuses there for ignition switch.

Typically if a fuse was the issue it would not be an intermittent issue,it would all the time. Nissan schematics are kind of odd, the only power source for the starter solenoid I can see would be through the ignition switch, getting power from a fusible link at the battery, which is why I'm wondering if he has an interlock switch . That adds a little more to look at in the schematic.

Typically if a fuse was the issue it would not be an intermittent issue,it would all the time. Nissan schematics are kind of odd, the only power source for the starter solenoid I can see would be through the ignition switch, getting power from a fusible link at the battery, which is why I'm wondering if he has an interlock switch . That adds a little more to look at in the schematic.

True and I read that you said 'getting power from a fusible link at the battery' so that might be the intermittent issue. Try putting the ignition to ACC then jiggle the fusible link while turning the key to see if it makes any buzzing noise.

True and I read that you said 'getting power from a fusible link at the battery' so that might be the intermittent issue. Try putting the ignition to ACC then jiggle the fusible link while turning the key to see if it makes any buzzing noise.

Ahhaaa, didn't think of that. Very good point.

All good points gentlemen .

FYI - starter is 30 days old ... just installed it .When the key is in the ignition and the door is open , there is a door chime letting me know there is a key in it.

Albeit this is in the non ACC position.

• 2 weeks later...

All good points gentlemen .

FYI - starter is 30 days old ... just installed it .When the key is in the ignition and the door is open , there is a door chime letting me know there is a key in it.

Albeit this is in the non ACC position.

Did you get this repaired?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Did you fix it?

What starter did you put in it? If it is an Autozone or equivalent, it might be bad. They say there parts have a lifetime warranty. You spend your lifetime replacing them.

• Like 1