4wd Hi weird issue

Hi Guys

I tried using 4wd HI mode and noticed a few issues i am facing and i don't know what it is

When i am stationary and I want to go i noticed i am putting my foot down and there's no acceleration as in power..for a few secs and like the vehicle is struggling to move and then there will be a sudden shot of power...Like something is stuck or preventing the car from moving.

While I was on the motorway i put it in 4wd and it was going normally and suddenly it started slowing down like something was preventing it from going forward like a like a opposite reaction...kinda like when something is getting stuck and starts slowing down but only for a few secs...but all this is always noticeable from when stationary or reversing...its like im giving it gas and the thing is struggling to move like grinding and stuckish....and then suddenly like unlocks and moves.....weird

anyone know what this could be.

Is all this happening on paved surfaces ? Have you tried it on soft ground or gravel ?

Have you checked the differential fluids ? Do you hear any clicking in 4wd with the wheel turned tightly and moving forward ?

Edited by Beatup96
  • Like 1

Sounds like torque bind to me. 4H makes the front and rear driveshafts turn at the same speed. When you go around a corner, the front end covers more ground than the rear, so the front driveshaft tries to turn faster than the rear. AWD rigs have clutches, a center diff, or a viscous coupling to allow this. Part time 4x4s generally* don't, and rely on the wheels slipping a little to make up the difference. If you're using 4x on a slick or loose surface as intended, this works fine. Try it on pavement and it binds up as the front end fights against the rear end and makes the diffs bind up. Usually the weak link is still traction and one of the tires will slip a little if you force the truck to move. Sometimes (especially if it's had a lot of this abuse) the weak link is the transfer case, a CV joint, or one of the diffs.

Like Beatup said, try it on wet grass or something, it should do fine there.

*The one exception is the Auto setting on the ATX14A transfer case that some of the later rigs came with. If you put the 4x4 dial to Auto, the transfer acts like the clutch AWD setup in some Subarus, cutting in 4x only when the drive wheels start to slip. It's not a bad idea if you're dealing with a mostly clear road with patches of ice or something similar. Put the dial to 4H and it should lock the shafts together the same as the most other part-time transfers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi sorry for the late reply been so hectic...I noticed this tend to happens more when the wheel is turned and I'm about to move off from stationary.....or when driving and I turn.....not checked fluids can't hear any clicking but it doesn't feel healthy.... I think I will take it down my local Nissan see what they have to say

(If you're using 4x on a slick or loose surface as intended, this works fine. Try it on pavement and it binds up as the front end fights against the rear end and makes the diffs bind up. Usually the weak link is still traction and one of the tires will slip a little if you force the truck to move. Sometimes (especially if it's had a lot of this abuse) the weak link is the transfer case, a CV joint, or one of the diffs)

That kinda describes it a little seems as I'm starting to move off I hear or feel wheels slipping while one or 2 are stuck and having trouble releasing or moving so the loose ones are spinning and the others are locked now how many I don't know. But that describes it quite well.

Edited by TeesMaarKhan

Okay seems what is happening is transmission windup....as I'm told these are not meant to be riden on tarmac roads in 4wd something to do with differential....I got it on auto now and seems to be doing very less of the issue.....auto or 2wd seems fine