help me save my 95 Pathfinder

Paulsgirl

okay so about a week and a half ago I buried my Pathfinder in the dirt up to the tire on the passenger side. I of course found out about 3 times trying to get it out of the dirt and we had to dig it out and use to Jacks. my Pathfinder has always been so reliable I love my truck. but not a lot has been upgraded on it at all. I change the oil like I'm supposed to but my truck never even goes through fluids. I had a lot of dirt was kicked up underneath it really badand it sounded to me like the tranny has gone out completely in it when I tried to drive it home. it made it home but of course sounded like it was slipping or struggling to run. overtimeit started to run better and my 4 wheel drive with engaging againbut it still having a problem on take off between first and second gear while not in 4 wheel drive. it started making a whining sound and flipping around a little bit like it's trying to catch up with itselfdoes anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? going to am I going to need a new tranny? or could it possibly be something else? I can stop the truck put it in park and then and drive and it will take off againI love my Pathfinder and I'm willing to dump some money into it if I need to.any ideaswhich should be helpful

So... If I read that correctly, you got your truck stuck, dug it out and now it doesn't accelerate properly, like there is something wrong with the tranny? You can stop it, shift to park, then drive and proceed?

1) Don't drive it like that

2) What is the transmission fluid like (when was the last time it was changed)

3) Make sure the shifter cable/linkage/arm is not blocked with debris

4) Have someone check for tranny cooler blockage (bottom of the radiator)

B

1) ok park it got it :-)

2) The transmission fluid is up to level and clearI'm not sure when the last time the tranny with service maybe 3 years ago. it has always ran really good.

3) Make sure the shiftercable/linkage/arm is not blocked with debris------ I'm not sure where that is exactly but u can brt I'll find it! would that be in my owners manual? or will I need a repair manual?

4) Have someone check for tranny cooler blockage (bottom of the radiator)----- I will go look under there today. I did wash out the undercarriage of the truck because I was concerned about the amount of soft dirt

thanks for taking time out for me:-)

I really appreciate the help

Trouble between 1st and 2nd and a tranny cooler? Do you have a auto or manual trans? If it's manual maybe it's your clutch. But if it's a standard you won't have a tranny cooler.

There are things under the truck that could get screwed up in deep mud or dirt. Check to see that all plugs on the tranny and wherever are intact and the wires are not broken.

es it is an automatic w overdrive and a power/auto switch selection.

It sounds like I may need a repair manual to properly identify some of this. Are there links here for my 95?

II'm decent w a 10mm :-) but I'm no genius. ..lol

Wow!!! This forum and it's members are amazing :lol: I just downloaded a repair manual, way better than chilton could charge for, a service manual, diagrams ....ect. I could basically learn how to rebuild my entire Pathfinder from this stuff. I :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: am headed in to find the tranny cooler, shifter cable/linkage/arm, and off to use the troubleshooter that I ran across to start narrowing everything down so I can get mobile again. I think I better get some GOJO and a pair gloves, cuz I JUST did my nails. Thanks Friends...tty soon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Your tranny cooler is in the bottom of your rad. Two steel lines from the tranny. One in and one out. Last time I had my rad out I redid two nails...One bloody red and one blood blister blue.

Well I'm no genius either, but some would disagree. You mentioned " I of course found out about 3 times trying to get it out of the dirt and we had to dig it out". Did you slap the trans back and forth from D to R trying to rock out of the dirt or otherwise hammer on the trans? Could the bands be slipping? Could the torque converter be trashed? If you don't find an external reason for your shift/whine issues, maybe change the fluid and add some Lucas Oil Transmission Fix or a similar product. Good luck with it.