couple questions from a fairly new pathfinder owner

ragnor

1995 nissan pathfinder 4x4 5 speed.

The first question is about the rear control arms.

I have found everywhere on here the info about it, but am a little confused. I follow all the links you guys have up, but they lead to an 01 nissan i beliave. Are there none for the 95, or do we use the ones frome newer vehicles?

Second question.

This thing is gutless, can I do a z31 (early 300zx) vg30 swap for some juice? Or is it what it is, under powered?

Thank you much in advance.

Bill

What are you trying to do with the rear control arms? Replace them, or just the bushings?

Yes, they are fairly gutless; 2+ tons and 150hp/180ftlbs torque. The only reason they move at all is gearing, but then they weren't built to win races either.

Yes, you can swap in some other VG motors, but IIRC the z31 version has different heads and is too wide to fit without modifications (verify that, the info is here). If you want more power, make sure your motor is tuned properly, is in good shape, install aftermarket air filter and exhaust system with headers and that is about as good as it gets without swapping motors.

If you swap motors, go straight to the VG33 with 170hp/200ftlbs torque. That motor coupled with good intake, exhaust and VH30 cams (more aggressive) will net higher numbers, and then there is the option to build a vg34 (again, info is here).

Honestly, my stock 1995 VG30 with headers/exhaust and 31" tires is fine for me unless I'm loaded and in high altitude, which is rare. It is a tough little 4x4, I don't expect it to light up the tires or post numbers in the 1/4 mile... :shrug:

B

Would prefer to replace the whole rods, doing the bushings is a pain. And power wise, i know they arent race cars, but man.....it will barely get out of its own way.

Just got off of tech line at dorman, they said not avail on the rear arms

Edited by ragnor

What are you trying to do with the rear control arms? Replace them, or just the bushings?

Yes, they are fairly gutless; 2+ tons and 150hp/180ftlbs torque. The only reason they move at all is gearing, but then they weren't built to win races either.

Yes, you can swap in some other VG motors, but IIRC the z31 version has different heads and is too wide to fit without modifications (verify that, the info is here). If you want more power, make sure your motor is tuned properly, is in good shape, install aftermarket air filter and exhaust system with headers and that is about as good as it gets without swapping motors.

If you swap motors, go straight to the VG33 with 170hp/200ftlbs torque. That motor coupled with good intake, exhaust and VH30 cams (more aggressive) will net higher numbers, and then there is the option to build a vg34 (again, info is here).

Honestly, my stock 1995 VG30 with headers/exhaust and 31" tires is fine for me unless I'm loaded and in high altitude, which is rare. It is a tough little 4x4, I don't expect it to light up the tires or post numbers in the 1/4 mile... :shrug:

B

I light up the tires. :whistle:

(I'm sorry I couldn't resist.)

The VG34 brings these WD21s to life.

My opinion if you want to get more power out of it would be to engine swap or build the engine.

I drove a stock WD21 for many years and I never had a problem with it unless we loaded it with people.

B

AHAaaa... but they are one of the few vehicles ever built that raced, fully stock, and finished in the Top 10!

And yes ragnor they are a bit on the slow side but they will keep going for 400000miles if you do your maintenance (including the strut bushings on the front lower control arm)

ok, so back to my main q, im looking at bushings NOT arms in the rear? any suggestions where to get em?

And I am doin my best to keep her on the road, too nice of a nissan

Edited by ragnor

Well, AC (Automotive Customizers) has bushings, both solid that need to be pressed in, and a split 2 piece design that is easy to install.

Rugged Rocks has some hard core after market replacements: https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/19851995-wd21-pathfinder-suspension-components-c-38_1321_593.html?osCsid=nvjtu127j56gheasq1l27iov91

I can't think of where to buy them other than FactoryNissanParts, and the bushings are sold separate, so that isn't any gain. http://www.factorynissanparts.com/parts/1995/Nissan/Pathfinder/XE?siteid=214081&vehicleid=92803&diagram=3615161

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I know some people have gotten spare arms from junkyards and either swapped out the bushings at their leisure, or took them to a shop the have them replaced...

B

In 1987, the first generation Terrano was entered in the 9th Paris to Dakar rally race, with continued entries in rally races for many years, winning multiple times in its category.

Terrano is basically the exact same body as Pathfinder.

Now see, that's what I'm looking for... What kind of price range is something like that?

I will be building/buying something to put in my 91 this coming spring, whether it's building my vg30e or buying a vg33e and modding it. Either way, I'm going to pump up the volume on my pathy.

Now see, that's what I'm looking for... What kind of price range is something like that?

I will be building/buying something to put in my 91 this coming spring, whether it's building my vg30e or buying a vg33e and modding it. Either way, I'm going to pump up the volume on my pathy.

Not a clue.

Got lucky and bought it done.

I think a couple members have done it themselves though. Try searching or starting a thread on it.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/1298/Project-Pathfinder-Part-10-How-to-Build-the-Nissan-VG30E.aspx

The VG33/VG30 hybrid has been referred to as the VG34 by the PO of my WD21

That was my bad though: that was supposed to be a 3.3..... sorry I didn't notice! Interesting I didn't know that there was a "3.4" unofficial designation!

The VG34 is a chimera. VG33 block bored over with VQ45 pistons and valve reliefs cut into the piston domes, can't recall what cam/valve/injector mods... Nice motor, but not remotely stock, and in the other thread, you said you wanted a relatively stock motor. The VG34 is a built motor...

Want to keep it stock and still scoot?

The 3.3 L (3,275 cc) VG33ER is a supercharged version of the VG33, and produces 210 hp (157 kW) at 4,800 rpm with 246 lb·ft (334 N·m) of torque at 2,800 rpm.

It is used in the following vehicles:

• 2001–2004 Nissan Frontier SC
  • 2002–2004 Nissan Xterra SC

Going to take some harness and ECU work though...

You can always slap on a turbo and get over 300hp. :shrug:

B

• Like 1

No, you're correct. I am wanting to keep it relatively stock and I'm not actually talking about the vg34.

I am however interested in having a built vg30, which as I understand would actually be a vg33 once I get done with it. Admittedly, I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to japanese vehicles. Another things I"m wondering... is there a business that builds japanese motors or is it something I will have to do myself?

Well, a VG33 is a factory VG30 with 10% more displacement, so most people just start there. I'm sure there are some companies that build them (Mr510 in Washington I believe), but if you are swapping in a used VG33, you would change the timing belt and seals. You have to remove the cam pulleys to change the seals, and since you would have to swap over all the VG30 furniture, to change the cams is just valve covers and keepers. Not really 'building' a motor in my book...

Do what ever you want, obviously, but it seems like you are making things more complicated than they need to be. The stock VGs run a long time, so finding a used one isn't really much of a gamble.

B