Front end click... Driving me mad, what could it be?

stovanovich

So I've been chasing this click sound for a while! Changed different bits under the front end as a result and stil to no avail. Only does it when moving very slow and turning the steering wheel eg: Parking or reversing out of the garage seems to click on Drivers side. Anybody have some extra thoughts on this?

So far the following has been changed for brand new parts:

• Tie Rods
  • Idler Arm
  • Strut / Compression rod bushings
  • Shocks

I'm at a loss now as to what it can be, I was certain it was the strut rods.

perhaps a cv joint? does it change depending on how hard you are turning?

Na man it's not a cv as it does it in 2wd too and I have manual hubs. I also changed the CV boots back when the sound still existed & Surely I would've noticed a broken CV :laugh:

You can't 'just notice' a broken cv. Cv joints do make a clicking, clacking or god forbid, screeching noise. The only way to properly check them is to get them out (both outer and inner) and clean all the grease off them to inspect. It's a pretty messy job to do, preferably done on a weekend with a few spare hours.

If they make any noise they are bad, that's how you notice a bad CV.

You'll also notice a bad CV when it explodes.

Check the brakes and bearings. Is it a rotational click, or happens when you hit a bump?

Definitely not rotational more like something needs a grease (not steering stops as it does it prior to these touching)
I've heard clicking CVs plenty before this is more a singular click whilst turning the wheel at less than 5kmph eh when reversing out of garage or parallel parking. not all the time either, just enough to annoy me.

My friend had an old VW that made a terrible rattling noise at low speed. He eventually discovered that I filled his hub-caps with gravel. Anyway, if you have a friend whom you trust to drive, you could walk along side while it is making the noise and try to isolate it to wheel or suspension

• Like 1

So possibly sounds like something is shifting when you turn the wheels?

A common issue with that is the front diff mounts being a little loose. May go over them and make sure they're tight. How are the inner tie rods (centerlink)? Ball joints?

I've just assumed that all of them do it.

Mine makes the same sounds. Make sure everything is greased well and moves without binding.

Though I've got a strong suspicion that it's the inner tie rod on mine, there is no longer a boot there. I just keep her greased every couple months until I can get enough money together to redo the front end.

I've just assumed that all of them do it.

Mine makes the same sounds. Make sure everything is greased well and moves without binding.

Though I've got a strong suspicion that it's the inner tie rod on mine, there is no longer a boot there. I just keep her greased every couple months until I can get enough money together to redo the front end.

Yeah gonna give everything a good going over with grease, according to service manual the torsion bars need greasing? Seems odd but I'll try that as I've replaced tie rods, balljoints & now strut rods since it started all with brand new components.

So possibly sounds like something is shifting when you turn the wheels?

A common issue with that is the front diff mounts being a little loose. May go over them and make sure they're tight. How are the inner tie rods (centerlink)? Ball joints?

Ah, I'll have a look at the diff mounts, that's something I haven't checked yet.

Tie rods are all new components since the noise started only thing in the steering that hasn't been changed is the steering box / pitman arm.