Headlights go out when I turn right -_-

kev9180

Like title says, when I make a right turn, both my front headlights go out. Everything else works, tail lights, cruise control, brake lights, etc. I replaced my turn signal switch thinking it was that but nope, same problem. I took apart the steering wheel cover a few weeks ago and was good for a few days but problem is back. What do I do?

If I get a multimeter and test for power (never used one), how do I do that? I'm on my last nerve with this one lol. Thanks guys

Sounds like you need to check the internals of that indicator/light assembly switch. Inside there are brass contacts that when you turn the lights on, the brass 'finger' will close making contact with the small magnet underneath.

So undo your plastic steering wheel column again, remove the two screws holding the switch assembly and unplug from the ignition.

Take off the plastic cover of the switch by prying off with a small screwdriver. From memory there are tiny plastic clips which hold it on and they have a tendency to go flying into the great unknown. Don't panic if you lose the cover though. Mine has been running quite comfortably without it.

Inspect the ignition connector pins for any damage. Inspect the brass fingers for any damage. Get some fine grade sandpaper and clean the contacts underneath each brass finger.

From the sounds of it, the indicator brass finger is coming into contact with one headlight brass finger, so you are getting a power crossover. I'd fix this soon before it melts your ignition switch or something.

So with further inspection it seems to be that the two wires that get power to the headlights from the battery are a bit loose on the actual terminal that comes right off the battery. When the battery slides whenever I turn, the two wires coming off the terminal shift which cuts power to the headlights.

Don't know how I'm going to secure the battery but I'm going to try and use some electrical tape at the least to further secure the headlight wires in the plastic terminal that connects to the battery. Hopefully that way I'll keep my lights even when the battery shifts.

Is your battery hold down busted or missing? If you're just looking for a "for now" fix you could put a bungie cord across it. A friend of mine's van has been that way the whole time he's owned it.

You might also try cleaning the connections where the wiring meets up if possible. Even with the battery shifting around, you shouldn't be losing the headlights like that.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

Slarti, yeah the hold down is busted. I don't even see where there would be one. My battery is just sitting on top of a metal looking plate it looks like and sliding around. The little plug that the headlight wires connect into off of the positive terminal is where the issue is. Those cables keep coming a bit loose

Oh well, time to go to your local auto store and get a new battery hold down clamp. The kit comes with the clamp and two metal rods with the screw connectors on the ends. The other end of the rod has a hook where it should loop into a hole down either side of the battery stand. They are only like $10.