95 pathfinder V6 low power

atxjax

Hi all,

recently purchased a 95 pathfinder V6. No leaks, 5 speed with recent clutch replacement, tune up ( spark plugs, wires, fuel filter air filter ) , timing belt. Looks decent , interior so so but i wanted it to be my ranch truck. Got it cheap $500 as i bought from my bro-in-law and i knew it had an issue.

It has very low power. When you step on the gas it revs up slowly and gradually builds power. from a stop light it is a dog, driving it on the highway once you get up to 65-70 it drives OK. No check engine light, idles just fine.

Ive cheaked the TPS, MAF and EGR. Ohh and it has a new cat converter on it also. All seems OK except for the low power issue.

One thing i did notice is that when put my timing light on it was that the marks do not show when strobed/ i think whoever did the belt put the crank pulley on wrong. Can someone please tell me where to begin to look?

Welcome, and congrats on your new Pathy.

I would go to the Garage section and download the FSM from the link in the pinned thread, then I would start here... http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/12828-how-to-change-your-timing-belt/

Make sure it has a new belt that is put on properly (also, sometimes the crank pulley key shears and the pulley rotates before it binds again)

B

• Like 1

Welcome, and congrats on your new Pathy.

I would go to the Garage section and download the FSM from the link in the pinned thread, then I would start here... http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/12828-how-to-change-your-timing-belt/

Make sure it has a new belt that is put on properly (also, sometimes the crank pulley key shears and the pulley rotates before it binds again)

B

Thanks. I was thinking along the same lines too. I dread havin to take that apart just to look at the belt.

Ok, wait, just one more thought... replace the fuel filter (damn, you already did that) and then check the fuel pressure if nothing changed, could be clogged fuel system/flogged pump.

Yeah, my first instinct is to make sure the timing/pulleys are right. Check the fuel first, 10x easier...

B

Edited by Precise1

check the timing via crank and cam pulleys!

I would say do a compression test but these buggers are difficult to get some banks thread / accessed .

sounds like the PO was trying to rectify your problem so my instinct says ... check the timing via the crank and cam pulleys !