Steering stops

Sparkyonbass

94 se, 4x4, auto, with factory 31's... How the heck do you turn the steering stops? I can get the lock nuts lose to where I can just spin them with my fingers... But I can't turn the steering stops themselves... What am I supposed to use to turn them and how?

The chrome caps are not sitting square on top of the nylon tips... The only place I see to grab them is the nylon tips... But they are soft and I'm going to rip them off if I keep trying...

I had half a can of liquid wrench when I started... I've sprayed them and let them soak for a while...

So I'm at a loss as to what to do... Any ideas, experience, kmowledge, pictures, anything will be helpful...

Chrome? That seems like an odd place for a decorative piece, and doesn't sound stock. The nylon on mine were always destroyed...I got tired of replacing them and just stopped turning to full lock when backing out of the driveway (SCReEEeEEEEEch!)

The nylon on mine were always destroyed...I got tired of replacing them and just stopped turning to full lock when backing out of the driveway (SCReEEeEEEEEch!)

Haha, I always get a laugh when my Frontier does that and the passenger thinks I busted something. I heard if you coat them in grease it helps, but never tried it.

Agreed with adamzan, I do the same and I haven't heard a peep out of them even when my wife drives.

(The usual exchange reads:

wife "Honey, why doesn't the car turn?"

me "Keep pulling on the steering wheel until it stops dear."

wife " oh.... it doesn't turn very well does it?"

me "ahh...no....not yet.")

So that's aluminum caps on top of nylon caps? Well that makes more sense than chrome... In later years Nissan put a metal cap on top of the nylon (from what I've read) to make them last longer... I think it's only the 94 and 95 that have them that way...

I've checked my steering, I have several degrees I can extend the turning before I rub on the frame or fenders... And with starting to tow trailers, I need every bit I can get (chasing small trailers turning in reverse is a bit of a pain)... I can do it how it just fine, but I'd rather make it easier on myself...

And I've never greased mine and they are dead silent...