Rola vortex low pro mounts

AkPrecision

Well duh (on my part). Since I made my safari rack out of 3/4 in electrical metallic conduit,your solution will work perfectly. I've been trying to think of a way to use the existing track to mount it. I guess the answer was so simple it plum evaded me. Thanks AkPrecision. I just love this forum!

Also interested in the conduit rack plans.

And AK, thanks for the explanation. One further question though. The factory 10mm mounts, are they just the mounts from the 2 main bars and the 3 smaller supports bars of the OEM rack?

Edited by till44

You'll need about 100 feet of emt conduit(whatever diameter you choose),8 90 degree elbows,and 16 connectors(I bought the contractor pack of 25 cheaper than 16 individual connectors). I bought a tubing notcher but you can smash the ends flat in a vice if you want. It's up to you how big you want it. Of course,the bigger you make it the more tubing you'll need. I'll try to post photos when I learn how to do it(I'm an old dog so it's hard for me to learn new tricks). Get it how you want it then weld it together. That's were I am now.I just haven't had time lately.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone

Nothing was screwed into them when I purchased this truck except a couple little black screw tabs and they are just floating in there. If you run your fingers through the track you should feel them in there. they are the only screw points inside the track. I'll find a picture of what they look like. The are stainless squares inside a plastic sliding guard with a 10mm hole in the middle

Yeah, those anchor points that AkP mentions weren't used on my truck either, but they are there. I had been looking for whatever tie-down piece was supposed to be there, but could never find a part number for them. It wasn't until the other week while pulling a newer style rack for Kyle (ferrariowner123) that I realized that they were only included with the cross bars on the older R50s.

999R1-R50001_2.jpg

Though, I measured the bolts as being M6x1.0. I pulled the crossbars from the junkyard and installed them on the truck, too.

• Like 2

One other note. EMT is galvanized. When welding something galvanized you must remove the coating with muriatic acid or the fumes generated can be deadly! There are videos on YouTube that show how to do this. I used a length of 1 1/2 in PVC capped off on one end filled with acid to dip in in. I used the same filled with baking soda and water to neutralize the acid on the part. After the coating is removed the part should be primed pretty soon or it will rust.

• Like 1

Yeah, those anchor points that AkP mentions weren't used on my truck either, but they are there. I had been looking for whatever tie-down piece was supposed to be there, but could never find a part number for them. It wasn't until the other week while pulling a newer style rack for Kyle (ferrariowner123) that I realized that they were only included with the cross bars on the older R50s.

999R1-R50001_2.jpg

Though, I measured the bolts as being M6x1.0. I pulled the crossbars from the junkyard and installed them on the truck, too.

Very good point Patrick, and yep, my 96 has 3 of the crossbars you have pictured (in addition to the 2 elevated bars), my 01 just has 2 elevated bars and 4 of the little black tiedowns (but there are a few more of those threaded plates in the rails). Also, I'm pretty sure AK is referring to the size of the head being 10mm, good info though, as I was curious as to the thread size and pitch, but too lazy to unscrew one of those little guys to investigate. ;)

One other note. EMT is galvanized. When welding something galvanized you must remove the coating with muriatic acid or the fumes generated can be deadly! There are videos on YouTube that show how to do this. I used a length of 1 1/2 in PVC capped off on one end filled with acid to dip in in. I used the same filled with baking soda and water to neutralize the acid on the part. After the coating is removed the part should be primed pretty soon or it will rust.

VERY GOOD SAFETY INFO HERE! Sorry for yelling, just wanted it to get noticed, because yeah, welding (or burning off in any manner) a galvanized coating is no bueno. Some choose to grind it off (just a light kiss with a mild abrasive disc in the areas that will be welded), but there to, proper PPE needs to be worn to protect your respiratory system and full goggles should be worn as well.

• 2 weeks later...