Switched my 3L engine oil to Synthetic?

maddmark1981

well, I am doing my 3rd change in two months so She's gonna be clean now...lol... I went ahead and bought Moble 1 5w-30 Synthetic and a fram filter... I also ordered in some NGK copper v groove plugs... the platinum ones seem to be working fine but Im a sucker for staying on track with specks so I'm going to make the changeover tomorrow, I'll let you know If there is any noticeable difference

If it isn't too late, I'd seriously consider not installing the Fram and going with a Mobil 1 filter, or a Bosch at least. Frams are... less than desirable. There are threads on them here and check out bobistheoilguy.com for better info...

B

Precise1 is right about the filter but you'll be ok this time around if you have already installed it.

Your pretty much golden with ANY filter other then FRAM - even most auto parts stores house brand .

Oh and don't forget to check you spark plug gaps before installing.

Edited by BendRed

I haven't put the filter in just yet but I went to pick up my new plugs today and he ordered me the v-groove instead of copper ... I have double platnums in it right now and they are working great to my knowledge so I opted to just leave those alone... so Fram Filter is garbage?

Nothing wrong with the V groove either. Go ahead and pull one plug just to see how it looks and go from there.

Yes, most Frams are garbage. I believe the Tough Guard is acceptable, but why bother? If you pay for synthetic, run a good filter. I'm not an expert on them, but Mobil, Bosch and Wix (Napa gold?) should be of sufficiently high quality...

B

I haven't put the filter in just yet but I went to pick up my new plugs today and he ordered me the v-groove instead of copper ... I have double platnums in it right now and they are working great to my knowledge so I opted to just leave those alone... so Fram Filter is garbage?

V Groove should be copper unless you get the nickle ones .... which I would not run.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a sciency kind of guy, and one of the keys to life is to learn; to keep learning. :aok:

Kids these days with the internet are so lucky, I would have had to look this up in an encyclopedia/text books or go to the library...

As for the oil, I agree with most of the posts, go with 5-30, synthetic is fine (even if it is just Mobil 1) unless you live in a major desert, then run 5(10)-40 synthetic in the blister months.

I have a WD21 that I run 10-30 Valvoline semi-syn in (106k miles) and a R50 that has Mobil 10-30 in it (180k miles), and I'm considering going back to the Mobil 1 5-30 to see which it likes better on start up. Both work fine, but I'm trying to stock as few different grades of oil as possible, so finding something that all the cars like would be nice...

B

I've got both my pathfinders running on Delo 10w30. Its a diesel oil with zinc anti-wear additives, more detergents and a higher shear stability than conventional passenger car motor oils.

My trucks stay quiet on cold starts with an oil change interval of 5000 miles.

I'm going though the last of my collection of K&N PS series filters. They have a 10 micron rating but I have just noticed the second half of all my vg33 filters are a little different....
round instead of flat o-ring and a big spring tower visible inside the filter for the bypass (very different)
Google tells me they moved their production to china or something and these changes are the new outsourced design. It will be interesting to see what I find when I cut one open but I may be switching...

Mobil 1, Bosh and K&N were all made by champion labs and were all good filters of similar quality. I will have to do some research to find out what still holds true and what doesn't...

My remaining 3.0 filters (also K&N) have not changed.

Edited by MY1PATH