'97 R50 project underway...

till44

I bought my Pathfinder in 2003. Since then I've moved 7 times, put 110,000 miles on it, squeezed five kids into it, and generally pushed it to its limits on terms of towing overladen trailers and boats. I owned a 1971 CJ5 and 1989 4-Runner previously and the Pathfinder outperformed both in terms of towing ability, traction, and all around 4x4 vehicle.

This year we upgraded to a 2015 Sequoia, fitting 5 growing kids and camping gear was getting tough. Since it's no longer the family vehicle and not my daily driver, it just sits out front, getting driven 2-3 times a month. It's not worth selling so I turned to here for ideas on what to do with it.

I'm not looking for a rock crawler but a semi-overland vehicle. Something to get me to more isolated camping/climbing/hunting spots. Here a list of upgrades I have planned:

- manual hubs

- 2" AC lift, including new struts and shocks

- roof rack

- additional lighting (360 coverage, additional front and rear)

- cargo organization, drawers, shelving, etc.

Possible upgrades or ones for down the road:

- 1-2" spacers for front and rear to prevent rake

- new wheels with negative back spacing

- larger tires up to a 32"

- under armor/rock sliders

- compressor

- gas/water can mounts

This is the obligatory picture of how it sits now. Very dusty from sitting and a recent sprinkle.

image.jpg1_zpshwb2lr8e.jpg

I'm looking for any suggestion or tips, something I may have missed from the numerous threads I've already read. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a pretty good list. Is that another Nissan parked behind? With the upgrades I would ask what you have in your rear diff - open or lsd, maybe go for a locker with the compressor. Custom bumpers/ARB/TJM and a winch - if you think it might be needed.

Sounds like a pretty good list. Is that another Nissan parked behind? With the upgrades I would ask what you have in your rear diff - open or lsd, maybe go for a locker with the compressor. Custom bumpers/ARB/TJM and a winch - if you think it might be needed.

It is another Nissan but my neighbors, my DD is a 3-series BMW thats pushing 300,000 miles. As far as rear differential, it's whatever it came with from the factory. Could you explain the locker for me? I've come across it being mentioned but never looked into it. Bumpers and winch would be nice but will be further down the road.

• Like 1

Sounds like a pretty decent list of upgrades. Once you are underway with this project, you won't be able to stop lol. Looking forward to this thing coming to life!

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

Edited by CDN_S4

I am not the best to explain a locker, but basically a locker actuates and causes the rear (or front) diff to become like a solid shaft and turn both wheels at the same rate. Fantastic if one of your tires is up in the air, or down in a hole... Air = actuated by an air compressor. LSD: limited slip differential - I have one on another rig, but cannot explain how it works. Open = differential powers which ever wheel has the least resistance (aka my current setup).

Replaced the rear bushings last week to get rid of the "death wobble". Ride is much smoother, drove it 900+ miles last week and what a difference.

Going to put the coils and new shocks/struts on hold for a bit, money is being diverted to an entirely different project. I'm still not happy leaving it as is though, going to add a few 2" coils spacers to get some lift and also add 2" wheel spacers to get the tires flush with the wheel flares.

Manual hubs are still on the list. I should have parts ordered up this week, get them put on in the next 2-3 weeks.

till44- where in NorCal are you?

You can check out some semi-disorganized photos of various mods I have made to my '97 LE over at xplorx4.shutterfly.com. Although it is a very capable rock-crawler, it is still a good overland expedition vehicle. Most of the crew I go wheeling/camping with also have mildly built SUVs, and we use them in similar ways as you've described.

How'd you manage to squeeze 5 kids into it? :)

• Like 1

EXPLORx4 - East Bay (Pleasant Hill area) and I'll check the pics out tonight, thanks.

Fitting 7 people in an R-50? Requires a third row so we added a "Little Passengers" bolted in the cargo area. The bench is certified as a "booster" so it also eliminated the need for extra booster seats. Worked great, only draw back was they had to get in and out via the lift gate and we lost all our cargo area. I'm looking to sell it if you know anyone looking for one.

• 7 months later...

Another project was finally wrapped up just as my BMW, and DD, needed some maintenance (I'm determined to get it to 300k miles before I sell it), which turned my attention back to the Pathfinder.

I changed the rear bushings back in October and plasti-dipped the wheels then as well. Today I installed Warne manual hubs and was surprised how easy they were to do. Total job time, including gathering tools and cleanup, was 30-45 minutes.

Here's how she sits now, no big change yet.

20160524_140351.jpg

Warne manual hubs installed.

20160524_140404.jpg

I'm searching craigslist for wheels/tires now, 31" at least, but may order Fleury's spacers first and just go with bigger tires sooner.

Edited by till44
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fleury's spacers are now inbound. Talk about great service. I sent him an email with a few questions and he answered a few hours later and had an invoice sent moments after.

Found some wheels and tires, just waiting on the lift so they'll fit before buying.

I have some 265/75/16 wheels on a set of Konig Countersteers I'm looking at. Actually coming from another forum member and his '97.

• 2 weeks later...

Another project was finally wrapped up just as my BMW, and DD, needed some maintenance (I'm determined to get it to 300k miles before I sell it), which turned my attention back to the Pathfinder.

I changed the rear bushings back in October and plasti-dipped the wheels then as well. Today I installed Warne manual hubs and was surprised how easy they were to do. Total job time, including gathering tools and cleanup, was 30-45 minutes.

Here's how she sits now, no big change yet.

20160524_140351.jpg

Warne manual hubs installed.

20160524_140404.jpg

I'm searching craigslist for wheels/tires now, 31" at least, but may order Fleury's spacers first and just go with bigger tires sooner.

Do you have the reversed American flag on your passenger door...I had these on my last truck need to buy them again for my new one

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have the reversed American flag on your passenger door...I had these on my last truck need to buy them again for my new one

I do, can't remember where I got them, otherwise I'd tell you.

I got mine on ebay for like $7 I think

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fleury's spacers getting installed today. Yakima Load Warrior rack is inbound. Konig Countersteers and tires didn't pan out so still looking for 32's and wheels.

Edited by till44

• 1 month later...

Stopped at the local tire shop the other day. They say 33's will fit. I was under the impression that 32's were as big as I could go with just the spacers....

Can anyone confirm this?