worst oil filter location EVER!

BendRed

LOL .

Just wanted to rant about how I think the designers of this V6 motor picked the worst spot ever for a oil filter .

DIRECTLY over the top of the starter and damn close to its + terminal !

Now Jeeps are similar mind you but man.

And I service alot of vehicles !

lol

Rant over :blush:

This is a good reason to upgrade to a VG33. Front mount oil Filter near the Steering box with the open side Pointing up FTW!!!

Yeah, I always change motors because of oil filter locations! :rolleyes:

You do have a point though, they did learn and vastly improve that on what is essentially the same block. Odd that it actually takes a smaller filter though, IIRC.

B

It's like 3.8quarts with a filter change. I just dump my gallon of Rotella in there and call it good.

I thought it was interesting that in the owners manual it tells you to change the filter every other oil change. :shrug:

*at least on my 88 it does.

Edited by PathyAndTheJets

Normal driving condition for most manufactures is:

Highway only on a day no hotter than 80 degrees F, on dry level ground, with a slight Eastern breeze, holding a steady speed of 55 and 3/8 mph.

I'm exaggerating of course, but I've never seen anyone meet the normal driving requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

Project pathfinder is gonna get its filter located. Took my and the technician working on it (at my auto class) about an hour to get the filter off. The 3.0 filter location is bad, the 3.3 is even worse (less room!)

True, but that is what people get for owning a Subaru...

Project pathfinder is gonna get its filter located. Took my and the technician working on it (at my auto class) about an hour to get the filter off. The 3.0 filter location is bad, the 3.3 is even worse (less room!)

I just did an R50 oil change last weekend, and while the filter position is better, the location isn't, and it still dribbles oil as soon as you unscrew it. It just doesn't dribble it on your starter... :tongue:

B

The one on my Xterra is awesome, right underneath and it is tilted just enough that it will dribble into your pan. I know what you maan about the r50 B, it is more vertical and closer to the PS pump.

Good to know, we've been talking about upgrading the R50, or deleting it all together and getting a Leaf. If K could make up her mind and keep it for more than 4 minutes, that would help too...

The one on my Xterra is awesome, right underneath and it is tilted just enough that it will dribble into your pan. I know what you maan about the r50 B, it is more vertical and closer to the PS pump.

What motor is in it?

B

Still not worse than subaru

DITHH.jpg

Man , I dont know whats with you guys .

I do those daily at my shop and its a cake walk .

Just put on the insulated gloves for this one and walla .

Oil change in 10 minutes or less.