worst oil filter location EVER!

BendRed

LOL .

Just wanted to rant about how I think the designers of this V6 motor picked the worst spot ever for a oil filter .

DIRECTLY over the top of the starter and damn close to its + terminal !

Now Jeeps are similar mind you but man.

And I service alot of vehicles !

lol

Rant over :blush:

Edited by BendRed

Well I find the location of the Honda Element , Accord , Civic ... basically the 16L - 2.4L Honda motors are crappy in location as well as they mae a mess all over everything .

But the location of the oil filter on the 3.0L Nissan motor and its proximity to the starter is just assignin !

Yeah, and it always leaked...

Everyone on here is just a bunch of whiners. Have you ever changed the oil on a ford focus, or a grand am? Those are 2 that are 10 times worse. I can change the oil on the pathfinder in less than 10 minutes and not spill a drop on the starter. Just be more careful and less like a gorilla.

Subaru's .... ?

Really !

Thats like the easiest one on planet earth !

Your referring to like 05 and newer ones with the new style exhaust manifold that wraps around the oil filter huh ?

Still easy ..... I have a strap wrench that I wrap around it to break it loose and then finish by hand.

Ford Focus ........ don't think I have done one of those .

Yeah, and it always leaked...

Everyone on here is just a bunch of whiners. Have you ever changed the oil on a ford focus, or a grand am? Those are 2 that are 10 times worse. I can change the oil on the pathfinder in less than 10 minutes and not spill a drop on the starter. Just be more careful and less like a gorilla.

Please .... enlighten me .

Adam is just proud of his new found oil change abilities... :tongue:

Yeah, the placement on the VG30 is pretty lame, mainly due to the slant. I found it impossible to to remove without oil leakage, because as soon as you break the seal, it starts to dribble. Of course, the answer is to put a rag over the starter and tuck it up under the oil filter, but it seems like they could have managed a vertical drop fairly easily.

How about changing an oil filter on a BMW K75? The screw-on oil filter is inside the oil pan, accessed by a small port, slightly larger than the oil filter itself. You better have the right tool, but even then if the PO over tightened it, it won't be coming off regardless. Then you get to drop the oil pan to remove the oil filter...

Putting the oil pan back on requires a manual and a torque wrench; there is no gasket, just two machined surfaces that have to be joined in the correct sequence and to the correct torque. Do it right, and no leaks.

B

Adam is just proud of his new found oil change abilities... :tongue:

Yeah, the placement on the VG30 is pretty lame, mainly due to the slant. I found it impossible to to remove without oil leakage, because as soon as you break the seal, it starts to dribble. Of course, the answer is to put a rag over the starter and tuck it up under the oil filter, but it seems like they could have managed a vertical drop fairly easily.

How about changing an oil filter on a BMW K75? The screw-on oil filter is inside the oil pan, accessed by a small port, slightly larger than the oil filter itself. You better have the right tool, but even then if the PO over tightened it, it won't be coming off regardless. Then you get to drop the oil pan to remove the oil filter...

Putting the oil pan back on requires a manual and a torque wrench; there is no gasket, just two machined surfaces that have to be joined in the correct sequence and to the correct torque. Do it right, and no leaks.

B

Ouch - my shop specializes in BMW ( european/asian auto repair) and thankfully I have not ran into this .

Ouch - my shop specializes in BMW ( european/asian auto repair) and thankfully I have not ran into this .

This is probably why... ;)

k%2075%20s.jpg

Fuel injected, water cooled, 750cc inline 3 cylinder firing horizontally with a single plate dry clutch and single arm swing arm with enclosed shaft drive. Bit of an odd bird, at least for that time, and maybe even now...

B

B you never cease to amaze me...or is it just that you discovered googles vast knowledge!

Muaahahaha...

On a serious note, BMW makes a NICE bike.

Mine is in the side yard awaiting a restore, I've owned it for almost 20 years and refuse to sell it. It will probably be my only bike soon, and it looks exactly like that picture; the S model in black with the lower cowling, 2 two temp heated hand grips and detachable hard bags (not pictured).

Yes, BMW bikes are something to aspire to, and hopefully, own. :aok:

B

I have to agree on worst location. After putting on my Pacesetter headers, the only oil filter I could use is a Fram. The only one that will fit between the frame & header. I ended up putting a filter relocation kit on & now have it in the upper front area of the wheel well.

On my TD27 it's not bad, it's on the right side of the engine block and yes you need to put newspaper underneath it to catch the drips. I just put a big drip tray on the garage floor to catch anything. Unscrews and then comes the tricky part, you have to turn it on an angle and then lift it out on an angle through a gap that the filter will just get through. The first time I tried to change the filter I looked at it thinking this is impossible but after fiddling for a while I worked it out. I'm lucky that I'm tall so I can get access to it. Anyone shorter than 6 ft would need to stand on a box to get to it.

I have to agree on worst location. After putting on my Pacesetter headers, the only oil filter I could use is a Fram. The only one that will fit between the frame & header. I ended up putting a filter relocation kit on & now have it in the upper front area of the wheel well.

Actually, that's not true. Purolator filters will fit, as will acdelco, mobil1, and K&N, just not the fatter style ones like wix or oem nissan. I have the same headers. Still haven't gotten around to installing my relo kit though. Probably should do that one of these days.

I'll take the easy access/dumb placement of a pathfinder over any of the 20 minutes of removing stupid plastic splash pans 3/4 the cars have anymore. And like Adam, my starters were always dry. Take 30 seconds and shove a shop rag on top of it :aok: