Dash voltage regulator question.

Porkwagon

Hi, I have read all about the dash voltage regulators, and how to fix it. I had a question though. Is it normal for the gas gauge to work fine, but the temp gauge to not work when the regulator goes out? Everything else is working fine in my cluster, but the temp gauge just pegs itself.

Ok well after reading a bit I decided to check the grounds. I came across this, which I am assuming is a ground. Im just not sure where to attach it to. I see where its bolted to the fender, but just found it dangling.

2vx1uyt.jpg

Ok I went out there and turned the key on, with the sender unplugged I grounded it and it shot up to hot and pegged, this all has to point to the sender being bad itself right? because thats what it does when its plugged in and the car is running. Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it. I just dont want to throw parts at it.

• 3 months later...

Well after driving it more, I noticed the temp gauge started working, and the gas gauge bottomed out. So this seems like its the regulator, ill order one up and see if it cures it.

Hey I was wondering if you ever figured this out I have been having intermittent problems with my fuel/temp gauge the temp sensor bounces around at the bottom, even though the car gets warm like normal, I;m not sure if I need to bleed out some air bubbles from the cooling system (hopefully not since I just had it drained and filled at a shop).

The fuel gauge works but will sometimes shoot from above a quarter tank down way below empty and slowly climb back up.

Also is there a test for the voltage regulator and does anyone have a picture of it? I could just be baked but I didn't see anything about it in the fsm it just shows you how to test and replace the combo gauge... unless that's another name for the voltage reg.?

Edited by mfoley412

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/19042-pathfinder-common-problemsfixes-read-this-first/?p=99peep that thread. I put a new regulator in, but my gas gauge still reads wonky, I have no idea whats going on with it. It will read correctly when I fill up, then its way off after that. Dipping down to E and back up etc.

Does it go down when you are just sitting still or when driving? You tightened the brass screws on the back of the gauge cluster?

Mine always changes a little especially when going around a corner because the fuel sloshes around in the tank obviously.

Also when accelerating, it goes down a little as the fuel moves to the rear of the tank, then when returning to cruising speed, it goes back up to normal. I think it's normal for Pathys to do this. It's just the sensor in the tank.