Hi! I'm new!

Valcryss

Hi, my name is Rachel, and I've never had a truck before my new 92 Pathfinder. It's pretty great! I'm not at all new to mechanics and fixing up my current rustbucket, I've just never had a 4wd rust bucket that was taller than I am before! I found this forum doing a random google search to find where the stock amp for the rear speakers was located, and it seemes like a great place to set up camp and learn more about my new smelly little dumpster fire.

I'm slowly but surely making my truck more likeable by the day, but there is one thing that just doesn't seem to want to get fixed-- the overwhelming smell of grossness. It's like mold and feet and bearing grease all got drunk together in the back seat, and then their mom came and tried to spray flowers and vanilla and Febreeze on it. I don't know what to do.

I promise I'll be a contributing member of (this) society as time rolls on... but for now, who knows how to take care of this problem before I have to give my awful... I mean, great new truck away to a highschool jock, or someone else who might not mind the stink?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Welcome! Glad you found our site! Yes, there is lots of information on how to keep your pathy alive. Rust is one of the few things that can kill them. As for your smell. I'm going to stay on the rust issue. There has been many reports of the floor pan right under the gas pedal rotting away. The catalytic conver is right underneath. As the carpet, backing and sound deadening material burns away, it can give a pretty bad smell off. It's easy to inspect by pulling the carpet back and feel around. I recommend doing this when the rig is cold.

You may also wanna check for any water leaks that have soaked the carpet. It can be a bear to get it all to dry. You may need to pull the seats and all the carpet out and clean the floor with a good cleaner. This would also give you a good chance to inspect the entire floor and look for rust and any other issues. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

:welcome: Hi & welcome! :welcome:

Not sure what you may have already tried but here's a few ideas: vinegar, baking soda, charcoal... maybe open a can of coffee & leave it in a while?

& also what 5523Pathfinder said! :)

Edited by RobynInOK

I'll definitely check out the floorboard under driver seat area, and I'm going to empty a large box of baking soda all over the carpet. Although it's just recently become mine, this truck has been through my family and at least I know it's not leaking and molding from weather. Best I can tell, the smell got in there the summer we cleaned out my hoarder grandfather's house after he passed away... he was the owner before my mom, who was the owner before me. So it's probably got something to do with the rotten house he lived in. It's just that no amount of Febreeze and fresh air can handle the lingering odor of feetmoldgrease.

:welcome:

Good luck on the smell, in time it'll come out again.

Take all the carpets out and drown them in a nice and smelly detergent and leave them for 2 or 3 days.

However, I know someone that had to renew all the interior because of something like that...

Got to post some pics, we love those and don't worry, the smell wont get to us :lol:

Sorry to hear. Smell is one of the toughest things to get rid of. You might have to tear everything out and disassemble as much as possible and wash wash wash. Is it from the carpet or from the back seat? Might want to scavenge junk yards for replacements. Might be easier than cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum. I found in my 1992 that the air distribution box was full of leaves and pine needles from years past, giving a rank smell all the time. Cleaned it out and the smell got better. There is a thread pinned on here somewhere about cleaning around the blower resistor. Also a serious fire hazard too.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum. I found in my 1992 that the air distribution box was full of leaves and pine needles from years past, giving a rank smell all the time. Cleaned it out and the smell got better. There is a thread pinned on here somewhere about cleaning around the blower resistor. Also a serious fire hazard too.

This could actually be the problem! There are no shortages of leaves and pine needles everywhere else on it! Thanks!

So I've removed my mats and seatcovers and sprinkled 4lbs of baking soda throughout the interior. I'll vac it out tomorrow night and see where that leaves me.

Welcome! Dude I laughed uncontrollably when I read your first post about your dumpster fire. Awesome stuff. I concur with the previous suggestions regarding the air box, and removing the seats...and corresponding hardware then completely removing the carpet exposing the sheet metal. Scrub it out and pressure wash the carpet sections. Preferably with a heated washer, air dry and reinstall. I had to do the same thing! Anyway....look forward to reading more of your posts. Hilarity is welcome here!

• Like 1

I'm glad everyone here is so helpful and understanding of a smelly truck! As I mentioned in my very first post, I've never had a smelly truck before, so it's going to be a learning experience.

Although I'm quite capable of removing all the seats, I'd rather not if I can help it. This is not only my "fun project," but it's also the vehicle I drive to work 5 days a week. I'm sure it would be very pleasant afterward to basically rip out and replace my interior, I feel this would be a project for a vacation-length of time.

So while it may eventually come down to that, I'm going to try a more non-invasive approach first, then work my way up. Sucking out the blower seems like just a good solid idea, so I will be doing that either way. But the seats have to stay for now!

Edited by Valcryss

Welcom
After the baking soda and vinegar RENT a good steam cleaner or Resolve wet vac from your local Large chain grocery or hardware store.

As far as finding the factory amp, some vehicles had two (8 speaker premium sound, I think one included a noise filter for the tweeters) and if you are running an aftermarket stereo both should be bypassed.

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 1

Welcom

After the baking soda and vinegar RENT a good steam cleaner or Resolve wet vac from your local Large chain grocery or hardware store.

As far as finding the factory amp, some vehicles had two (8 speaker premium sound, I think one included a noise filter for the tweeters) and if you are running an aftermarket stereo both should be bypassed.

I'm going to vac the baking soda and blower box tonight, hopefully that takes care of it. I pitched the seat covers that my grandpa had in there too, and will put my personal freshly-laundered seat covers in. I didn't mind the smell at first, it was more of a joke than anything. But then after a week or so, I started picking it up on my purse and my clothes. So stink-busting needs to happen.

Yeah, that rear amp has GOT TO GO. I was okay with it being a little spotty, but it started making this godawful buzz the other day. Unacceptable! So I hope to be able to rip it out (or simply bypass it) tonight after work as part of my sanity cleanup.

Yeah, I'm naughty and post at work... I even registered my account on a work computer... sooo naughty...

Yeah, I'm naughty and post at work... I even registered my account on a work computer... sooo naughty...

lol what is this? They have some big rule against it or something?

Work sometimes gives me more internet time than the kids do.

• Like 1

lol what is this? They have some big rule against it or something?

Work sometimes gives me more internet time than the kids do.

• Like 1

Just rip all the carpet out and spray in some aerosol bedliner! Now it's a a rockcrawler and will smell like dead ozone!

I love everything about it. Except I think that would get a little chilly in the winter!

Sprayed in liner would be pretty cool...hmmmm....

They do it so you can hose it out. Especially nice for sand. Most popular with beach goers and rock climbers!

Welcome. I agree with the prior posts about where to look (so to speak) for the smells. Any violation in the floors could allow water in and mildew to grow. Key places are under the DS and PS carpet and under both rear seats if you flip them up. Check after driving on a rainy day and see if any are damp. Water can seep through rust areas even if they look and feel reasonably solid. Once you get everything cleaned to your satisfaction, you might throw a couple dryer sheets under the rear seats to combat the stink. You could also lay strips of bacon on top of your catalytic convertor. bacon ALWAYS helps.