Trying to make custom bumper, anyone know what this is?

kyle2090

Whoa! Don't mess with that! That is a ballistic device that clears mines so you don't trash your duratracs! ;D Sorry, couldn't resist, actually I don't think I've come across that on either of mine (96 & 01). Looks like possibly some sort of pollution control device?

• Like 1

Ballistic device...hahaha! :rofl: Wrong! It's a plastic half-octopus!

Actually, it's an air duct (seriously). At the top of it is an opening, and that opening feeds directly into your airbox, before the filter of course. Any heavier-than-air items, such as water and rocks, should drop into those "fingers". There are smaller holes in each that allow for water drainage. If you remove your airbox, you'll see what I mean. If you pull the wheel well liner, you'll see that it actually extends into that area to draw (stale) air.

Couldn't tell you why it's all wonky-shaped. The sensor on it is an ambient air temp sensor. You shouldn't remove the duct unless you replace it with a snorkel. It's prone to cracking and fatigue like any other plastic, and I think Lurch (a member here) at one point hydrolocked his engine because this part failed and drew in water. Obviously, a decent amount of water in it won't drain, and will hydrolock.

It's part 16577 on the diagram:

r50_165-5.gif

If you remove it, yes. A few options, actually:

Snorkel

CAI

Tacoma airbox mod (google it)

For the latter two, you'll want to cover the opening where the duct and airbox pass through.

Also, if you're looking for advice on what not to do in terms of bumper mounting, see my post here. I've got some pics of other aftermarket R50 mounts if you're interested.

Wowzers that's a funky looking airbox. Mine was a black plastic that had a tube go back into the inside of the fender. Mine was all busted anyway so I removed if and threw a CAI (more like HAI) into it. Just make sure to build a splash shield for it as the hole that will be left inside the engine bay where the box draws air from as even just driving in the rain, the tires will throw a lot of water into it and you don't want the intake to suck it all up. As long as the CAI is somewhat enclosed to keep it dryish, you'll be ok. But ultimately a snorkel is the way to go.

For the CAI to perform better, hood louvers can help let some of that heat out. And they look badass! :)

Edited by CDN_S4