Batteries

Hey guys so the battery in my pathfinder just died..good thing I'm off the next two days..but anyways I'm in the debate as to going for the optima battery or keep it lead-acid? Anyone running a optima? If so which one and what are you running off it? In planning on adding a 8-10k winch In a month or so and one light bar and a few lights around my roof rack

I have a Optima that I have had since 2004. It's been killer. Saved my butt when my alternator died on the trail. The newer Optimas have a bad rep for failing early. I'd say it's 50/50 chance either way. I have heard awesome things about Odyssey batteries..

http://www.odysseybattery.com

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

My personal experience is that Optimas aren't of the same quality as they used to be since they were aquired by Johnson Controls.

One battery that has been mentioned again and again on the hardcore 4x4 boards is the Diehard Platinum AGM. It is actually made by Odyssey,

I found one at my local junkyard for $40 that was made 9 months ago, and it has been exceptional so far. I load tested it at 150 amps, and my meter barely moved.

I agree with Dma251. In my own experience running yellow tops, I had mediocre life. The first one I ran lasted for a very long time, and when it finally meant its service life and would no longer charge I replaced it with the same, but was disappointed. It simply died after about 9 months and Optima only carries a 6 month warranty. So I ended up purchasing a Duralast Gold and have had nothing but good results.

I guess it boils down to what you need and or want. I have a large winch, and multiple lights, and no issues.