Old Man Emu Install

Slac_Lac

What is an accurate time range for a professional service to install the complete OME suspension package? Given my lack of time and knowledge of vehicle mechanics, I am having a professional service do the install. The guy I spoke with said they had never done this with a pathfinder and it could take up to a day and a half (12 business hours). Does that seem reasonable or am I potentially getting bent over? thanks for the help.

Clarify to the shop that the lift is nothing more than MacPherson strut assemblies (strut and springs), rear springs and rear shocks. (The "complete" kit is 2x struts, 2x shocks, 4x springs; you can buy just the springs, but the installation is exactly the same). They will need to remove and disassemble the current struts to re-use some parts. If they can't reduce their estimate to 3-4 hours, find another shop.

A single mechanic in any suspension shop (or general mechanic) can do it in that amount of time. It takes me that long with on a garage floor with hand tools, a floor jack, jack stands, and a rented (free) set of spring compressors.

The R50 suspension isn't magical. Changing the front struts and spring is absolutely no different than any strut-based car (sucks to say, but 'tis true). The most annoying part? Removing/loosening the air box stuff under the hood to get to the driver's side strut tower bolts, which are blocked by a bracket.

For the rear, it's even simpler. Just disconnect the shocks and sway bar, let the axle droop, swap springs springs, reinstall shocks. With a 2/4-post lift, this should take no more than 30 mins, and you don't even have to remove the tires nor compress the springs!

Again, if your shop has a beef with that estimate, find another shop.

• Like 1

The "backyard" guy (has a lift , etc...) who did my AC kit + front spacers , did mine along with both valve cover gaskets , new exhaust , new rotors , calipers , bearings , replaced the rear tire carrier latch and wire actuator , installed manual hubs , probably a couple other small items I'm forgetting... you get the picture.... . I dropped it off mid morning one day and picked it up the next morning . As hawairish said , the lift is just replacing parts with "other" parts .

Thanks for the responses, i appreciate the help.

As of right now, i have a stock 2004 SE with 255/65r16 General Grabber A/T.

I purchased the OME suspension package and purchased 265/70r16 BFG KO2.

Hoping to have the above completed within the next week and a half.

My next improvement will be adding the manual locking hubs.

Does anyone know if a baja rack could be easily fabricated to fit on top of the pathy? I don't mind the one that came with the vehicle (standard rack with two crossbars from the manufacturer), but when it comes to tying everything down i feel as if my options are limited so I am hoping to find a better rack (note: i am not wanting to throw a Thule basket on top of the current rack).

I'm slightly confused by your rack question. You say you would put a "baja" rack on the stock cross bars but not a Thule basket? The reason why I'm confused by this is because essentially its all the same, quality etc put aside. Safari, baja, Yakima, Curt, Rhino... All baskets that need to be attached to the roof via either cross bars or the roof rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to replace the current rack completely. I am not looking to put a rack on top of the current railings and cross bars. I would prefer to remove the current one entirely and purchase a new one and then fabricate it to mount into the roof of the vehicle.

I was throwing the question out there to inquire if it is a relatively easy modification (if anyone knows off the top of their head)?

Looking to replace the current rack completely. I am not looking to put a rack on top of the current railings and cross bars. I would prefer to remove the current one entirely and purchase a new one and then fabricate it to mount into the roof of the vehicle.

I was throwing the question out there to inquire if it is a relatively easy modification (if anyone knows off the top of their head)?

Front Runner Outfitters has a low-profile slimline system that will replace the rack, and has a slew of other accessories. Not terribly cheap, but seemingly of high quality.

• 2 years later...

Front Runner Outfitters has a low-profile slimline system that will replace the rack, and has a slew of other accessories. Not terribly cheap, but seemingly of high quality.

Frontrunner is very highly thought of in the T4R community. A million accessories but all at high cost. I do love their undermount stainless steel prep table though-that’s a great idea.

I kind of like the Rhino racks a little better as they run front to back & I expect have less noise & drag. One downside is that you can’t just omit a transverse bar if you want to accommodate a sunroof. Rhino rack platform is also a little broader making them easier to walk on. Finally, they have a great center channel which you can put tie downs or a nice little rubber strip in.

Prinsu also has a good rep but you need to drill an opening in the slots to put anchors in the track if you don’t want to disassemble it each time.

All that said, I’m putting a Rola V-Tech with extension on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro