1992 pathy gas and temp gauge issues

Jonhutson

Gas gauge

- I was sitting at a stoplight a couple of weeks ago, not revving the motor or hearing any difference in the pitch of the motor, but my gas gauge was going back and forth from full to empty pretty sporadically and continued for the rest of the drive

- Now it either doesn't work at all or its correct, but I'm not seeing any actual difference in engine performance

Temperature gauge

- I haven't seen it act up, and I don't have any temperature problems

- it's on/off when the fuel gauge is on/off

All of the other gauges are working as they ought to.

What is there for me to do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

I'm new to pathfinders. we just received a bit of a beater for free, but no working temp or gas gauge (among other things I'm working to fix). As I've read most common problem is faulty voltage regulator on the instrument cluster. The original tested to 8.65V, so I think it is OK, but went ahead and bought a new one. Put it in last night, and still no gauges. dang.

What is next most common fail point? Seems that having neither working is almost for sure to be related. hard to believe that both the fuel sensor and the temp sensors could both be out, but I guess it could happen, this thing is a bit of rust bucket...but it runs great!

Welcome! I would pull the cluster and check the connections on the back, corrosion as well as loose connections can cause intermittent failure and sporadic behavior.

Is your tachometer working correctly?