Asking Advice, be easy on me.

Buchner

I have sold the my mud truck, and have been doing a lot of trail riding in the Jeep lately. Which has got me doing a lot of reading about overlanding (expedition portal). I can not do much of that with my 2wd pathy, and the YJ will not fit family and gear.

So the question is... If I bought wrecked pathfinders and parted them out, keeping what good parts I need, how hard would it be to make mine 4wd? Everything should swap right in, correct?

The reason for doing it this way is I think in the end it would not cost me anything to build what I want.

To be clear, you're talking about converting your 2006 2wd Pathfinder to a 4wd by buying a bunch of wrecked Pathfinders?

Honestly, that sounds like a very cumbersome approach. What you'd be better of doing is finding one wrecked, rear-ended R51 and using that as your donor. You have a lot of research you probably still need to do, but the main thing you're looking for is proof that the 2wd frame is the same as the 4wd frame. If so, everything from the 4wd should just transfer over, and you'll have a perfectly good (hopefully) donor with transfer case, transmission, driveshafts, front suspension, front axle, and any wiring for switches, sensors, etc.

Then, you can sell off the engine, front body panels, doors, interior, whatever to recoup costs. Then, scrap what's left for a little more cash.

But that's really the long road ahead. For possibly no cost, could you trade in your 2wd 06 for an 4wd 05 and come out even? That's almost zero work.

This is a question that has been asked if all model pathfinders. For the most part, it is probably easier to just go out and buy/trade for a 4wd version. That's not the answer most want to hear, but when it comes down to keeping things factory, the cost can get kinda high. Some have done it and I'm not telling you your shouldn't, but it's your money and time.

For the most part, you will probably need a transmission and transfer case. The wiring should be there fo the transfer case, but it may be different. You will probably need different contort units as they need to talk to each other to know what systems on on the vehicle. This may include the ECM, ABS/VDC module, trans control unit(inside transmission) and possibly some others. Then you run into a few sensor issues as your adding a front differential. The transfer case engaging switch in the dash and associated parts. You would have to double check to make sure the gears in the rear match(which may have to be swapped also). The list could get bigger as you put things together.

Now, if you were going custom, that's a whole different ball of wax. You could find different axles and fab stuff up(if you have those skills) to save money. I think there is a SAS's r51 out there somewhere, but your going to have to dig to find it.

A lot of people try something this ambitious at tie s and then give up on it. Then the rig sits for years and eventually is given up on, sold or sent to the scrap yard. This is just my 2 cents. Maybe someone else will ring in with another opinion.

• Like 1

Glad the more mechanically minded people here chimed in above. Sure it is possible but it will be difficult to make your money back by selling off the parts you don't need from your donors.

Good choice with going with Nissan for your Overlander project, you can find them much cheaper than any Toyota or Jeep. I would sell your 2WD and look for an Off Road model Xterra '05-'08 and build off that. There are many more after market products for the Xterra than the Pathfinder suited to your build objective. The Off Road model (later Pro4X) already comes with a locking rear diff etc.

Thank you guys for chiming in. The reason for the Path over the X is passenger seating. I drool over the Pro4X. But I have gone a different route, I am finishing up the bumpers I designed for my Jeep and will sell it. I have also sold some bumpers to local Jeep guys.

My brother has picked me up a Ford Excursion I will start to build over the next couple years.

Alaska here I come!!!

That should be pretty cool. I've seen one around my parts that was jacked to the sky...not really what you want for an Overlander but still shows there is a big aftermarket for the truck.

If passenger seating is that important then I should have said Pathfinder Armada instead of the Xterra. I've seen some pretty nice Overlander ready builds on that platform.