I need new rear axle shaft

Darek

Hi,

More less for the last year I have been hearing a noise from the rear of the vehicle. Recently I went to a mechanic and he said that rear axle shaft is crooked and need to be replaced.

This can be true as I had a serious stuck in a mud and the recovery was quite difficult.

But now I cant find an after market axle shaft for the Pathfinder (I am not from USA). I can only see axle shafts for Terrano I and II.

So the question is can I use axle shaft from Terrano or other model? Are left and right axles the same?

Also can it be dangerous to drive with such axle?

Wait the shaft that rides inside the rear axle housing and sends power from the diff is bent? That's crazy if it's true. I would assume it's bearings before something like that. Did he check those while he had the axle out to verify that it was bent?

I had a buddy of mine who had some crazy rear end his old Chevy wagon that he used to haul his horse around. He told me they stopped producing the axle shafts decades ago, and he ended up having a machine shop make him a new set because they had calls about people needing the same shafts made. So if you can't confirm the Terrano's are the same, I would look into that option.

As far as driving with it,I have no idea to say yay or nay on driving with it, hopefully someone can chime in on that.

-Kyle

That sucks...especially since I have two extra axle shafts in my garage!

Not sure about the Terrano II, but the Terrano I should be a match...it is a Pathfinder.

The axles are the same. Probably not dangerous to drive on, but it will wear out the wheel bearing faster and potentially put undue stress on the side gears in the differential.

Do you have any other symptoms beyond noise? What's the noise sound like (a low humm or whirrrr sound)? Any vibrations?

It's pretty simple to pull the axle shafts for inspection if you've some some mechanical skills.

Edit: Kyle mentioned as I typed, but I also think it's wheel bearing. The axle shafts are beefy.

Edited by hawairish

The symptoms are that there is a low level noise (not whirrr). The noise is starting about 30 mph and it is louder when turning right and quieter when turning left.

There are no vibrations and no play on the wheel.

The mechanic noticed that when he rotates the wheel then the drum is getting closer and farther to the brake back plate. On the other wheel the distance between the drum and back plate is constant.

This caused him to suspect crooked axle shaft but he was supposed to remove it and verify.

I don't know if he really take out the axle as I was not with him.

2015-08-20%2021_16_03-mump-1112-00-repla

Thanks for the detailed response!

I think he did remove the axle shaft a little...if that pic is from your truck, the wet spot is probably brake fluid, indicating he disconnected the brake line at the top of the backing plate to pull the axle shaft out properly.

The brake drum should stay centered, so changes in gap are probably a good indicator that something is wrong, either axle shaft, bearing, or both unfortunately.

That wet spot could be be gear oil as well, if the seal is starting to leak. (I have that on my WD21, but I hope not from a bent shaft)

Agreed, it all points to the fact that he could be right.

If the brake shoes are wet, it means that tire won't brake well, and if gear oil is leaking, eventually it will not properly lubricate the differential gears. I doubt it is an immediate or unsafe condition under moderate, short term use. but definitely keep an eye on it.

Stolen from a recent hawairish post

All R50's have the H233B rear axle. Only options were HG43 at 4.363 (48:11) and HG46 at 4.636 (51:11). Other Nissan trucks/SUVs have different ratios with the same codes: HG43 at 4.375 (35:8) and HG46 at 4.625 (37:8). Early Xterras and Frontiers had HG43 and HG46 in our ratios, as well as HG49 as 4.90 (49:10). Any of the above, plus several others not listed, work in our rear axle.

I have no idea what local vehicles have the same axle shafts, but at least you have a type to look for, hopefully the widths aren't different?

On the Pathfinders, there is a plate on the firewall under one of the hinges that will tell you axle type, not sure where it is on the others, but couldn't be far off.

B

That wet spot could be be gear oil as well, if the seal is starting to leak. (I have that on my WD21, but I hope not from a bent shaft)

Sorry to detract from the topic, but is your truck parked level B? From what I can tell, the bottom of the fill hole is below a flange on the inside of the tube ends. I didn't have any gear oil drips when opening three axles for my recent projects, so maybe you're just at an angle and you need a new grease seal?

Ok...little bit of research here.

The quick answer:

Find P/Ns 38164-0W060, 38164-0W000, or 38164-VE060. The last one is the latest P/N for 97-04 Pathfinder, 97-03 Terrano, and 00-04 Frontier/Navara/Xterra with the VG33E engine.

The long answer:

According to http://nissan-europe.epc-data.com/terrano/, the Terrano is the R50 with production dates of 10/97 to 08/03. Not sure if this is a Nissan site, but it is worth noting that www.nissan-europe.com is the Nissan Europe domain, and the structure of the epc-data.com website mirrors exactly the parts sections and subsections that I see on my normal US-based Nissan parts websites. I assume it to be reliable.

Part code 38162 is the designator for axle shafts, found in section "Axle & Suspension [G]", subsection "Rear Axle [430]". Depending on model year, it'll show 38164-0W060, 38164-0W000, or 38164-VE060 for the axle shafts.

According to US sites I use, 38164-VE060 is the superseded/latest part number for the other two for all 97-04 Pathfinders. Additionally, that P/N also shows as being applicable to 00-04 VG33E Frontiers/Navara and Xterras.

That all said, you have a match if you can find one from a comparable-year Terrano I, Frontier/Navara, or Xterra (not sure they have those outside US?), or if the part numbers you see are of those three. Best bet is to get 38164-VE060, as this is listed as being OE for the 03-04 Pathfinder here.

Related parts:

Bearing: 43210-0W000

Grease-Seal: 43232-42G10

O-Ring: 43085-42G00

Edited by hawairish

Thanks for the answer. First of all the picture of the wheel I attached is not my wheel, just random wheel from the internet. ;) Sorry for the confusion.

I just call the mechanic and he said he didn't remove the axle shaft. He told me that he was rotating the hub and it was rotating (or moving) left/right but it shouldn't be.

I don't know maybe I should go to other shop that specializes in 4x4 cars.

Hahaha, had us fooled. Well, there you go for part numbers for anything, just in case.

Seems like the best way to get your answer is to pull the tire, pull the drum, and check for warp/axial end play on the axle hub with a dial indicator (the FSM says there should be no play, 0mm/0").

Definitely sounds odd to have a bent shaft. That would be a strange phenomenon...Although possible. I would do some more in depth checking on your own if your comfortable with it. Proper way would be to remove the shaft after you have eliminated every thing else on the way to pullding it out. Good luck bro!