Fuel Injector Problems and Resolutions

KRDOORMAN

I was told by a shop mechanic that there was a fault in the fuel injectors system on my 94' 4x4 Pathfinder. He said one of the injectors was going out and needed replaciing. the problem is he couldnt tell me or didnt know exactly which one was bad. The way that I figure it is, Its either one that has easy access or one that is burried under the intake manifold. My question is, if its any three under the manifold are they difficult to remove and how do I test them. Do I need to remove the intake to remove the injectors. Does any body have any answers?

Thanks

KRDOORMAN

Your mechanic couldn't do a power balance test? If one is going bad, you should have a misfire. I assume he pulled a code? That would be a great piece of information to have here.

Three of the injectors are easy to get to on the passenger side. You can test them with a ohm meter and check the amount of resistance they have. Usually they have between 12-15 ohms if resistance. If any of them test higher or lower, then you found the issue. The other three are under the intake plenum, but can be tested at the fuel injector harness connector on top of the right valve cover. I recommend going into the Garage section and finding the link to download the factory service manual, then finding the injector test in the FE-FC section.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder
  • Like 1

There is a couple connectors you can use to check all the injectors without pulling anything. There is a 4 pack of connectors next to the upper rad hose. There is a 6 pin and a 8 pin connector. The 8 pin connector is the injectors. The 6 pin connector is used for the common. There is only 1 on the 6 pin that will work. It's one of the outside pins. The 8 pin connector is the injector side. With the clip of the connector up, starting on the second pin from the right will be number 1. The second row, starting on the second pin in is number 3.

Use the male ends of the connectors for testing.

Hopefully that didn't confuse you a lot. There is a few threads on the boards that address this. One even has pics of the connectors that are used.

Your mechanic couldn't do a power balance test? If one is going bad, you should have a misfire. I assume he pulled a code? That would be a great piece of information to have here.

Three of the injectors are easy to get to on the passenger side. You can test them with a ohm meter and check the amount of resistance they have. Usually they have between 12-15 ohms if resistance. If any of them test higher or lower, then you found the issue. The other three are under the intake plenum, but can be tested at the fuel injector harness connector on top of the right valve cover. I recommend going into the Garage section and finding the link to download the factory service manual, then finding the injector test in the FE-FC section.

The FSM values are 10-14 Ohms. Just saying, because I have been there a few times. Also, sometimes they test properly cold and fail when hot; been there too...

B

• 2 years later...

I am not sure if you guys love it as much as i do, but i just LOVE it when folks post symptoms get suggestions and then dont update anyone on whether or not they resolved the issue. =\