Pinion gears

PINION

going to do lift on 3rd pathy soon. Going to a 33 tire.

last pathy with a 32 tire, speedo was way off, also manual tranny so no real loss of power. This one (98 se) is autotragic. So to the point. Does anyone have info on pinion gearing options and resources

Now you're talking.

You know, I've been looking at the X/Fr version of the R200 for a while now, and I think it could be possible to make that bolt on. I'd have to see the clearance on the crossmember in front of the diff on ours, thinking that it could actually bolt to that. I'd also have to see where the snout on the diff is relative to the rear LCA mounts. A custom 'missing link' would provide bolting locations for the snout. If we could get that R200 into ours, not only would OE 4.9's be an option, but also more aftermarket gears.

• Like 1

Yeah, that'd be a lot of work no doubt.

Spent the last 3 days under the truck...the X/Fr R200 would need to use the R50 diff cover and have the bracket on the tube cut off, then some sort of cradle is doable. Can't mount to the crossmember because the rack and pinion is where it could otherwise mount without issue. But because the R50 axle mounts to two brackets with bushings, thinking that if you replace those with a custom bracket, the cradle idea isn't too far fetched...a bolt-on option.

I may have to revisit this in the near future.

• Like 1

Full float diff? Not sure what you mean. The axle (shafts) can be a floater, but not the diff.

How's the width on the axle housing, though? It'd have to be narrow enough to allow for some sort of flange-to-CV adapter. Otherwise you're talking about needing entirely different wheel hubs...which means different spindles...which means entirely different suspension. I hear whispers chants of "SAS, SAS, SAS"...

• Like 1

Lost me. That's a rear diff. Our front diffs are offset to clear the engine bottom, and attached by bushings to the subframe (via a bracket attached to the axle housing). Essentially the same thing, and neither technically a floater. I mean, it is because the weight of the chassis doesn't rest on the axle shafts, but isn't because floating is a reference for solid axle shafts (i.e., not CVs). :scratchhead:

yes, it is a rear diff, yes ours are offset, with a diff such as the one pictured, you could put it anywhere, as long as you can have axles made for it. Most baha buggys, and the alike have similar diffs. this was what I had in my garage at the moment. And yes, I used the wrong terminology, not a floating diff

Edited by PINION