Fuel gauge inaccurate?

Bobsteriffic

My Pathfinders fuel gauge has been getting somewhat inaccurate every time it drops below half a tank. I'm talking showing that there's half a tank of gas, going somewhere and turning it off, getting back in and turning it on and having it show that there's barely a quarter of a tank.

How big of a repair am I looking at here? Thanks!

I think what you are describing sounds like a normal thing for Pathfinders. Mine is exactly the same, if it's slightly below half way and I start up again the needle will be between empty and half way, the trick is find a downward hill and then it goes back to normal level. I've also been told by having the vehicle facing down hill will give you the 'true' fuel level. Sounds crazy but I believe that it is true. After filling up, the needle will go way past the F mark and when totally almost completely empty it will be just a hair past the last line on E.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine only reads full for about 6 to 10 miles... Reading 3/4 is actually 7/8... Reading 1/2 is actually 3/4... Reading 1/4 is actually 1/2... And reading empty is actually 1/4... Mine has never gone past the full mark... But it does go way below empty... Funny thing is, my low fuel light comes on when I have 1.5 gallons remaining every time... So it's working when it's supposed to...

I know it's off but at least it's consistent...

• 2 weeks later...