Fuel Pump Fuse Blows Intermittantly

krw

1992 Pathy. The fuel pump fuse blows frequently - usually when hitting a small bump. Obviously there is a short in the wiring.

I have followed the harness from the tank (through the access door) to the A post and found no problems. My larger issue is that I do not know the color code of the wiring and the FSM does not seem to show it.

Has anyone solved this problem?

What is the wiring color code?

Could the short possibly be inside the tank? (That sounds dangerous to me).

Thanks.

Grenade - Please do so when you get a chance. I would appreciate it.

Slartibartfast - I have bolts soaking in powerblast (a bit rusty). Hopefully I can get them out intact. A short in the tank, especially an intermittant one is a a bit frightening.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Well, it 'appears' to have been an intermittantly shorting fuel pump. I replaced it and have only test driven for about 50 miles on road and a mile off but so far, so good. I ran two extra wires from the dash to the top of the tank just in case I need them later on.

I also discovered a rotted body mount while running the wires. TG for welders and angle iron.

Thanks guys for the suggestions and I am keeping my fingers crossed. BTW, the new pump had the filter rotated 90 degrees. No big deal - just compare with the old one.