Lokka Automatic Locker Group Buy

LesterB

Hello, folks. I'm working on a group buy for an automatic differential locker for the R180A front differential in the 2005-2011(?) Nissan mid sized 4x4s. Lokka has, in prior group buys, been open to including the locker from the R200 in the previous generation, and I'm awaiting their answer regarding this one. Locking either differential is the most effective off road modification. If we get ten people Lokka has agreed to $299. If we get twenty people, $259. I'm excited. Through other forums we are already at 7 or 8.

They don't make a rear for your year Pathfinder. It looks like they don't make any for the rear differentials in Nissans, but they are going to allow older generation Nissans to join in. We have the ten people needed to get the lockers at $299 shipped, there may be a customs fee of 30-40 bucks. We have a real chance at getting to twenty. I'm giddy thinking about getting locked for $259. Everyone let your Nissan wheeling friends know about this group buy!

• Like 1

We are confirmed at $259 shipped plus 30-40 for customs!m I am sending a list of names to Lokka today and will include you guys. It doesn't bind you to a purchase.

Those of you interested need to call LOKKA and give them your VIN. I had to swap the diff from a 95 I had in order to put one in my 94. Not all R200 carriers are the same. Some are 2 pinion and some are 4. They only offer a locker for the 2 pinion.

Those of you interested need to call LOKKA and give them your VIN. I had to swap the diff from a 95 I had in order to put one in my 94. Not all R200 carriers are the same. Some are 2 pinion and some are 4. They only offer a locker for the 2 pinion.

Yes, 89-94 R200's were 4-pinions. They were 2-pinions before and after that range.

Wow, thanks for that info, guys. I will warn any early model guys to check with them when ordering. Their applications page makes no mention of that whatsoever.

When I checked for my 90 year model, their web site said I'm good.

Yeah, it's probably more of a 'heads-up' than anything. To be honest, I've seen conflicting information about which carriers actually made it into the R200's in the early 90's. The Nissan USA parts website doesn't make much mention of it, only the 2-pinion...but then again, they have so many permutations that are likely filtering out some configs. Courtesy Parts' diagrams do show a 4-pinion available for that era and nothing else.

Try going to parts.nissanusa.com and putting in your VIN there. Once your VIN is 'set', go to Power Train [F], then Front Final Drive [381]. This will show the parts diagrams specific to your vehicle, which will indicate which carrier you have.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's probably more of a 'heads-up' than anything. To be honest, I've seen conflicting information about which carriers actually made it into the R200's in the early 90's. The Nissan USA parts website doesn't make much mention of it, only the 2-pinion...but then again, they have so many permutations that are likely filtering out some configs. Courtesy Parts' diagrams do show a 4-pinion available for that era and nothing else.

Try going to parts.nissanusa.com and putting in your VIN there. Once your VIN is 'set', go to Power Train [F], then Front Final Drive [381]. This will show the parts diagrams specific to your vehicle, which will indicate which carrier you have.

I work at Nissan, one of those stealership mechanics. I looked up in the service manual to see what's involved. There are 2 types of front diff's listed for a 90. So when I went to the lokka site and put in my vehicle info they had one for the 4 and 6 cylinder front diff's only. I'll try calling it emailing them today to see what they say. Thanks for the info. Would suck to buy one and either have to return it or find a front diff that it would work in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I work at Nissan, one of those stealership mechanics. I looked up in the service manual to see what's involved. There are 2 types of front diff's listed for a 90. So when I went to the lokka site and put in my vehicle info they had one for the 4 and 6 cylinder front diff's only. I'll try calling it emailing them today to see what they say. Thanks for the info. Would suck to buy one and either have to return it or find a front diff that it would work in.

You might be able to eye-ball this by looking through the fill plug hole. You'll be looking at the back of the carrier; if you see another 8 smaller bolt heads inside the circle of ring gear bolt heads, then it's the 4-pinion carrier. Without, it's just the 2-pinion (1-piece).

Honestly not sure how good the view will be, but I have a pair of R200's in my garage so maybe I'll find out.

You might be able to eye-ball this by looking through the fill plug hole. You'll be looking at the back of the carrier; if you see another 8 smaller bolt heads inside the circle of ring gear bolt heads, then it's the 4-pinion carrier. Without, it's just the 2-pinion (1-piece).

Honestly not sure how good the view will be, but I have a pair of R200's in my garage so maybe I'll find out.

Looked mine and a 95 up this morning, 90 is for sure a 4 pinion and as of production date 12/94 they are 2 pinion style. Sent an email to lokka to inquire about application this morning. Hopefully they will get back to me within the next couple days.

Looked mine and a 95 up this morning, 90 is for sure a 4 pinion and as of production date 12/94 they are 2 pinion style. Sent an email to lokka to inquire about application this morning. Hopefully they will get back to me within the next couple days.

Yep, 08/89-12/94 is the range that Courtesy Parts shows for a 4-pinion R200.

By the same token, appears 87+ WD21 with the R180 are also 4-pinion. Not sure this holds true for the newer R180's.

wd21_381-2.gif

wd21_381-1.gif

Rebelord, I will add you to the list. Hopefully Lokka is quick to respond, their site definitely implies that they have a product for the older models, hopefully they've expanded the range and this is the case. My 2005 R180A is open on my bench right now, and is 2 pinion. I actually popped my pinion mate shaft stuck in a mud hole, that's what spurred me to organize this group buy. Figured while the case is open, may as well!

I will ask about the mate shaft, but I don't think so since it is specified on their page for the R200. I'd hoped that was the case, to save me the 50 buck to replace my broken one, but again, doesn't look like it.

The few write-ups I've scanned don't seem to mention it.

From some other forums, I see that the R180 internals are a weak link and have cause some major damage to the diffs. I guess the nice part is that the Lokka replaces all the internals except the cross shaft. Hope that's a selling perk in itself if you plan to wheel it.

Out of curiosity, do you have a pic of the cross shaft? The reason being is that the R50 has a longer flat spot on the shaft than ones for an Xterra (1st gen), which is essentially full cylinder except two spots. I suspect that the HD shaft is really nothing more than an X shaft, but I wonder if maybe you've got a better option.

Sorry, what I was getting at is I wonder if a cross shaft from another R180 that lacks a long flat spot would fit yours, if one exists. The flat spot (being X% less material) is surely making it weaker. The R50's one has a long flat spot, too, which is why I think Lokka provides a replacement.

I have the R200 Lokka, and have installed a pair of them. I know with they're different shafts. just thinking of ways to might improve your setup because of what I've read about the newer R180s.

Ahh, I see! Yeah, mine from the 2005 is flat the entire center section. Nissan has a new part that supersedes the original, I'm hoping it is beefier. The original does look like a weak link.

Quote from Lokka; "Good to here you've got so many numbers. We will have to issue a new voucher code, and we'll make it $249. I'll let you know when it's processed. It will run for a month, to give guys time to get their orders in.

(We will just check them off the list of names you give us too, so keep us up to date.)"