Servicing LSD rear end

AKdraws

Is it best to just add fluid, or drain it and add all new gear oil?

Never had a LSD before.

Also on another note, i have a switch on my dash that says "inter lock", is this an E-locker? any special care needed, when servicing, because of this?

Thanx in advance for the help!!

That switch is likely a clutch interlock, allowing it to start without the clutch pushed down. Toyotas used to have them, but I haven't seen them before on nissans. Where is it located?

I agree a complete drain is a good idea, and if you do that then you can just use LSD compatible gear oil, and save yourself the $10 tube of additive.

Good luck!

That switch is likely a clutch interlock, allowing it to start without the clutch pushed down. Toyotas used to have them, but I haven't seen them before on nissans. Where is it located?

I agree a complete drain is a good idea, and if you do that then you can just use LSD compatible gear oil, and save yourself the $10 tube of additive.

Good luck!

The clutch interlock switch crossed my mind, but also didn't think Nissan had them either. My buddy's Tacoma had one. Not sure he ever used it.

Good luck!

You were right!! It is indeed a clutch interlock. It's located on the dash, right side of the steering wheel, below the indicator light with the 4x4 drivetrain logo. IT's pretty useless though since the button doesnt lock into place. I have to hold the button down with my right hand and turn it over with my left hand...not excatly handy. Idk if that was a factory option or something but its dumb lol

And thank you, i will be chaning my LSD fluid this weekend. Bout that time

Drain and add new would be best. Don't forget LSD additive, unless you get gear oil that is approved for LSDs. Takes about 2.5 qts. I recently used this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VLV-VV831.

Not sure about that switch.

Thanx for the advice! I really like valvoline products and this will fur sure do the trick

I think you can thank lawyers for that silly clutch interlock switch.

Have fun with the LSD, but they can be a little tight, meaning don't be surprised if it wants to get a little squirrelly in the corners in slick conditions like snow or frost.

The ability to turn the interlock off can be nice if the clutch switch goes bad or if you need to move the truck a short distance when it won't start. I can see why they'd make it a momentary switch but it does seem stupid to put it on the right hand side.

LSD makes it easier to kick the rear end out on loose surfaces or snow because when both rears spin, there's nothing to keep the rear end from going sideways. Take it easy in wet/slick conditions and you should be alright. Mine's only given me trouble when I was half-stuck already and the rear end kept sliding towards the ditch whenever I tried to go forward, and honestly the truck probably would've been there until spring if I'd had an open diff--what I needed was a better set of tires.

The ability to turn the interlock off can be nice if the clutch switch goes bad or if you need to move the truck a short distance when it won't start. I can see why they'd make it a momentary switch but it does seem stupid to put it on the right hand side.

LSD makes it easier to kick the rear end out on loose surfaces or snow because when both rears spin, there's nothing to keep the rear end from going sideways. Take it easy in wet/slick conditions and you should be alright. Mine's only given me trouble when I was half-stuck already and the rear end kept sliding towards the ditch whenever I tried to go forward, and honestly the truck probably would've been there until spring if I'd had an open diff--what I needed was a better set of tires.

That makes sense to why they included the switch, but yes it is pretty dumb as a momentary switch lol

Ive notcied that the rear will kick out super easy, since i always pitch it sideways at my best friends house when i leave. And the last time in snow it scared me a little but I cruise for the most part because its better on gas. And safer. Also, i do need new tires in the rear since i switched them from the front, after my alignment destroid them...thanx for the help!