Pretty ugly clutch noise when I touch it... Ideas? (bonus pics too!)

taylorhayis

Hey guys! I'm back!

Its been a hectic few months at work... So very little pathy time. But I have been able to get out bush pretty much every weekend! A few pics...

CVh2t5Dl.jpg

strip of LEDs under the bonnet. Do it.

6GlOd1Vl.jpg

Some of you may have seen this already - but good times!!!

dqnmqAMl.jpg

Just a bit of Australian hill top! (and my old road tyres)

kSbxBkxl.jpg

Babes, guns and Pathfinders. Good weekend!

p49zDrxl.jpg

Bag call trying this alone. We got out, but barely!!!

ptcnCETl.jpg

Using a pathy to hold up a tarp!

6nmuNpul.jpg

Sometimes it snows in Australia...

Now onto business. When I touch the clutch - I mean even touch it... it starts making this grinding sound. Not high pitch, not consistent (it makes it consistently, but the sound changes and jumps around) Sounds metallic, and makes me think of bearings. When the clutch isnt being touched, or its in gear and moving - all good. But only when I'm on the clutch.

Throw out bearing? Pilot bearing? Are those hard to replace? Any idea?!

Thanks legends.

Taylor

I'm guessing throw out bearing, but they usually bark or howl. It isn't hard to change at all, the hard part is removing the transmission to get to it, mainly because you have to pull the torsion bars to do it...

Some people have gotten away with dropping the crossmember with the T-bars and just scooting the tranny back enough to get in there though; you'll need to search for the threads.

What you will need is a good place to work (concrete slab is recommended) and a tranny jack (or some good floor jacks with tranny adapters) and a friend to help. The tranny is quite heavy and will try to rotate to the transfer case side when unbolted so be careful and safe!

B

• Like 1

CVh2t5Dl.jpg

strip of LEDs under the bonnet. Do it.

This is BRILLIANT! Im so going to do this thanks for sharing! Is it wired to 12v, or does it contain its own battery?

kSbxBkxl.jpg

Babes, guns and Pathfinders. Good weekend!

Three of my favorite things! Though, for me "babes" = my wife 😀

6nmuNpul.jpg

Sometimes it snows in Australia...

I honestly did not know this!

Now onto business. When I touch the clutch - I mean even touch it... it starts making this grinding sound. Not high pitch, not consistent (it makes it consistently, but the sound changes and jumps around) Sounds metallic, and makes me think of bearings. When the clutch isnt being touched, or its in gear and moving - all good. But only when I'm on the clutch.

Throw out bearing? Pilot bearing? Are those hard to replace? Any idea?!

Thanks legends.

Taylor

Im no master mechanic, but if youre going to go through the effort to pull the trans (or even move it back a bit), id recommend changing everything back there: throwout bearing, clutch, pilot bushing, rear main seal, maybe even front trans seal... If for no other reason than to ensure you dont have to go back and do the same job for anything that could have easily been done at the most convenient time. The various parts are not that expensive. Piece of mind is priceless... If youre paying to have it done, then its most cost effective to bundle the jobs as most labor is related to accessing the area. Thats just my .02 cents, and what i did in my case. Goodluck, hope it goes smoooooth!

Yes, exactly. I didn't mention it, but by all means, change everything in there and take a look at the rear main seal as well. Quite a few people have changed their clutch only to have a leaking RMS 20-30k miles later. :thumbsdown:

I like your under-hood light strip! I set up a cheap LED panel in the middle of the hood on mine but it does have some shadow areas from being a small source. I might have to copy your design. :)

Dedicated and wired in is quite nice, but I have a number of these. They have magnetic and hook mounts, so you can move/reposition as needed anywhere, even in your tent...

LED-Work-Lights.jpg

B

Thanks for the tips guys! I think the previous owner did the clutch recently - I'll ask him... But yea good call - I will do it all while I'm in there. Probably drop the bars too, as I wouldnt mind replacing the bolts, they are FREAKING long and keep getting caught on stuff - as I have them cranked up so damn high to fit the muddies.

The LED strip is SO flipping nice, Its just a roll of this stuff, except I got warm white, as I hate the cool white... I wired it through a pushbutton switch that fit perfectly in a hole in the bonnet, through a fuse to the battery. Ran the wire up the channel and bing bang boom job done! I also stuck a 1m or so strip running from the dome light on the inside to the back of the car, and wired it in to where the bulb in the dome light used to sit. So now the entire car lights up like day time - and it draws almost nothing!

I'll order a new set of bearings and seals. Sigh... I just did a new distributer and coil and tires and fabbed a set of 2.2mx1m roofracks - will it ever end? Nope!

• Like 1

That is nice, thanks for the link! I'm going to order a roll; I can think of a lot of uses! (still like my battery ones as well though...)

No, Bud, it'll never end. At least not as long as you drive and/or wheel it. But realistically, this is the same with most vehicles, some worse than others. In 30 years, I've never had a car or motorcycle that didn't break...

B

Wait! Sorry, I've had a Honda CBR1100XX and a BMW K75 that never broke or let me down, unless I ran them into things, and you can't really blame the bike for that, no? :D