Strut question?

I have not been on here in forever but am planning on replacing my struts soon. Was wondering if I could get some info from you guys.

1. Part number for the KYB Gr-2 struts driver and passenger side. I don't want to get stuck with the Excel-G strut that they have now.

2. Other than the strut mounts/bearings, are there other parts that are suggested that need replacement.

3. I have one inch spacers on top of the struts. What is the size and length of the Grade 8 bolts that are used? I could figure this out when replacing the struts but I don't want to have to run anywhere to pick stuff up during the job.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Tyler

Excel-G is all they have for our application.

You could have looked this up on kyb's website just like I did:

Left: 335016

Right: 335015

You might consider getting the strut boots: SB129

If you do, you can get the kit that gives you mount, bearing and boot in one part# SM5329.

I would re-use your current bolts since they are already the right size for your spacers.

I guess the next best question is what is going to be the best replacement option for a vehicle that gets wheeled regularly? Is KYB the way to go or should I consider Rancho, or Monroe?

Those KYB are good. Rancho ones don't have a good track record. Plus hard to find.

Monroe, for grandma. They've been known to blow out faster than the Ranchos.

I personally run Gabriel Ultra. I havr abused them hard they are holding up like a champ. I get them from Autozone because they lifetime warranty them for the seals. So if I do blow one out. I just exchange it.

Can be had for cheaper online. The Gabriel do ride stiff though. But also absorb washboard with ease.

Sent from fat fingers on S6

3. I have one inch spacers on top of the struts. What is the size and length of the Grade 8 bolts that are used? I could figure this out when replacing the struts but I don't want to have to run anywhere to pick stuff up during the job.

Your spacers will likely dictate the answer. If you have Fleurys' spacers, you'll need fully-threaded tap bolts at whatever thread pitch the spacers are tapped to. If you have the ones from AC or NX4, I believe they came with top plates with the bolts already pressed in. But either way, they won't be OE.

You'll have to assess whether they even need replacing. But if you want your size, you can tell pretty quickly by removing one of the nuts and putting a ruler to the exposed bolt. Measure the bolt diameter and measure the thread pitch (threads/inch for US Imp, thread gap for mm).

The bolt length is about 1.25" plus whatever the exposed bolt length is with nut off. This accounts for your 1" spacer and 2 layers of ~1/8" steel for the strut top plate and unibody.

Spacers were some of the first ever made and where done by a shop close to home. I will just reuse the nuts/bolts.

So what is going to be the strut that is build stronger and can take a beating?

KYB vs. Gabriel?

We wheel multiple times a year in Moab so it takes somewhat of a beating. Hence the STRONGER option would be better.

Thanks,

Tyler