Automatic vs. Manual

WV_R50

I would trade my mint 115k mile pathy for the same truck in a manual with boot... I hate the shift points after the lift and the mileage. I still love my truck but I hate my trans sooo much.

Then there's the towing capacity. From the beginning, my cars had manuel transmission. I made an exception for the pathy because it tows 1500lb more with the auto trans and obv the rareness of these manuel transmission. Anyway, it depends how you plan to use your car. In my case, in the future, I would like to buy a boat so the choice was easy. But... I miss so bad shifting gears :(...

I can vouch for this statement. Don't buy the $99 scissor style trans jack from harbor freight. My knee got to see exactly how heavy the trans/tc assembly is when it slid off that thing at about 12" off the ground. OUCH! Renting a huge tractor trans jack is the way to go.. cost me $27.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A tranny jack should have spots on them to hook up chains. You chain the tranny to the jack before completely removing it to prevent the tranny from falling. Luckily for you, your knee was there to keep the tranny from getting hurt. ☺️

A tranny jack should have spots on them to hook up chains. You chain the tranny to the jack before completely removing it to prevent the tranny from falling. Luckily for you, your knee was there to keep the tranny from getting hurt.

Yeah the $99 scissor jack at harbor freight had a wimpy strap instead... I was actually going back in with the new transmission and it hung on an obstruction causing the thin junky tray where the strap attaches to warp and allowing the whole tray to detach from the base and BAM! After that I took that piece of junk back and went to Sunbelt Equipment Rental and all they had was a gigantic tractor trailer trans jack which had a multi axis tilt. Went in like a dream with that behemoth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen tranny jack attachments for floor jacks.

That being said, I usually use a plain floor jack and cross my fingers because I am too cheap to buy a good tranny jack. I have never tried this on a 4wd though, just 2wd Chevies and AWD Subaru. Last time I did a tranny on a 4wd I was working at a dealer, so had a lift and proper tranny jack.

• 2 weeks later...