Loud exhaust with load on engine

i just got a new exhaust put on and when I rev the engine the car sounds fine has a nice deep tone but when I take off it sounds like I am dragging chains behind me, I kind of thought it was the exhaust manifold but it's Dosent seem like the "ticking" noise I read about the exhaust manifolds? Does anybody know what could make these old TBI aunts sound like that when there is a load on the engine but not when its in park.

Ok so letss try this again.... Let me guess, your using Tapatalk right?

Since this is not the first time we have removed duplicate topics that you have made, will please start ignoring the "error" messages that the app gives when your trying to post and instead of reposting the same or similar content, try refreshing the listing view first.

The posts and topics do get submitted, even when tapatalk returns and "error"

Yeah I'm getting that error..... Sorry.

And I'm using Google Chrome browser. I can't use tap talk to save my life, apparently I can't even use chrome to your standards.

To my standards? Come on don't be like that. But just so everyone knows, all duplicate threads and posts have to be manually removed. And we do that to try and keep a clean and easy to navigate community for all NPORA Members ;)

A simple refresh will show if a post was made or not and I don't believe that that is asking to much. :beer:

Sounds like you're dragging chains behind you? Like a rattling/clanking/Jacob Marley sort of deal? Check to see if everything's tightened down right, and maybe give the muffler a good whack to see if it's got a loose baffle or if someone put a bolt in as a joke. Can you get a video of the noise?

• Like 1

It sounds to me like a loose exhaust shield that rattles and vibes at low rpms, and then clears up when you give a touch of throttle. I've got the same exact thing on my 06 Silverado, when it's idling it's got this crazy RAAAEEEGGGHHHHHHHEEERRRRRAAAAAGGGHHHHHHEEEEERRRRAAAAAGGHHHH rattle vibe, its annoying but harmless...

Yeah it like a rattle/leaky exhaust, I just can't find a leak anywhere, are the headers or anything known to crack? It might be that shield that covers the manifold if that's what you mean by the heat shield, the fact that i can only hear it when the car is moving make me think it's a very small crack or hole that only sounds as bad when there is a load on the motor which puts more pressure in the exhaust system which would make any small hole or crack louder, correct???

Higher revs should = more noise from an exhaust leak, yes. A friend of mine put an exhaust gasket backwards on his Chevy and he said the noise varied quite a bit by how much he was or wasn't on the gas. It was noticeable at idle, but it wasn't exactly a small leak.

You might try hooking a shop vac or something to the tail pipe (motor off/cold) and then crawling underneath to see if you can hear or feel air rushing in somewhere. The only common exhaust issues I'm aware of are the exhaust studs and the joint under the driver's floor. How much of your exhaust system is new?

And GV280Z, my '95 used to do that. I tried to break the spot welds holding the heat shields but they weren't ready to let go, and I couldn't get a tool in there, so I just wrapped baling wire around them and twisted it until it held them securely. I've also heard of people using hose clamps, which is a little less Red Green.

Yeah when I rev it in neutral or park the tone seems correct even if I am WOT or at least it's not annoyingly loud, but as soon as a I put it in a drive and hit the gas it rattle a rumbles and sounds stupid. I will upload a video soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Higher revs should = more noise from an exhaust leak, yes. A friend of mine put an exhaust gasket backwards on his Chevy and he said the noise varied quite a bit by how much he was or wasn't on the gas. It was noticeable at idle, but it wasn't exactly a small leak.

You might try hooking a shop vac or something to the tail pipe (motor off/cold) and then crawling underneath to see if you can hear or feel air rushing in somewhere. The only common exhaust issues I'm aware of are the exhaust studs and the joint under the driver's floor. How much of your exhaust system is new?

And GV280Z, my '95 used to do that. I tried to break the spot welds holding the heat shields but they weren't ready to let go, and I couldn't get a tool in there, so I just wrapped baling wire around them and twisted it until it held them securely. I've also heard of people using hose clamps, which is a little less Red Green.

Actually I don't have this problem with my Nissan, it may happen to a very small, almost unnoticeable degree but my Silverado on the other hand sounds like a damn tattoo gun when at idle.

• 1 month later...

I just don't wanna do a whole new exhaust system on the pathy unless it's the problem, and I won't even be able to swap it with a 90-95 so idk if it's worth the money.

• 4 weeks later...

Noises are a funny thing - in that they are sometimes hard to definitely identify the source of the noise.

Have you tried isolating the noise between the exhaust system and engine? It would be loud, but if you disconnected the exhaust from the heard/exhaust manifold, and the "rattle/clanging" was still there when revving the engine, its not the exhaust.

Also, from what you're saying, there is no noise when revving in neutral or park. This means there's no load on the engine, and once the trans is engaged, there is a load.

My guess this is not exhaust related, but engine related. Have you done a compression test, as this sounds like a valve train issue. I've seen this, where it was the beginning of a small head gasket leak, and the extra load caused the valves to be "off" and started to make a noise any time pressure was created (such as a load on the engine).

First thing is to isolated and identify....

Noises are a funny thing - in that they are sometimes hard to definitely identify the source of the noise.

Have you tried isolating the noise between the exhaust system and engine? It would be loud, but if you disconnected the exhaust from the heard/exhaust manifold, and the "rattle/clanging" was still there when revving the engine, its not the exhaust.

Also, from what you're saying, there is no noise when revving in neutral or park. This means there's no load on the engine, and once the trans is engaged, there is a load.

My guess this is not exhaust related, but engine related. Have you done a compression test, as this sounds like a valve train issue. I've seen this, where it was the beginning of a small head gasket leak, and the extra load caused the valves to be "off" and started to make a noise any time pressure was created (such as a load on the engine).

First thing is to isolated and identify....

Maybe disconnecting the exhaust might be a bit loud and not allow hearing the rattling is it is coming from the engine.

The other way of doing this is having a 2nd person either trying to isolate where the noise is really coming from - have 1 person to rev the engine very very slightly (trans engaged, making sure one foot is firmly on the brake) and the other person on the side of the vehicle, and see if they can isolate where the noise if coming from.

I know of a situation where a "clanking" noise was thought to be coming from the starter (flywheel/transmission area) anytime the trans was engaged or accelerating (fine when cruising). But when finally isolated, it was from the engine block, specifically the cylinder heads (the valve train), and shortly after that, the head gasket completely went and there was water coming out the exhaust. When the plugs were pulled, 2 of the plugs were damp and the coolant was low. When that was topped up, water was streaming out of the spark plug hole. The heads were pulled and we found the breach in the head gasket as the culprit.