Backspacing is confusing

Gingy

Looking at a 15x8 procomp alloy wheel. Problem is the 4.5" backspacing. I'll probably be sticking with the 31x10.50 tire. I was trying to stay close to the 3.75" backspacing but that wheel is a beast at 27.8 lbs vs the alloy at 16 lbs. Will that 4.5" backspacing be anything to worry about?

Hopefully not too bad. i've got factory flares. a little is fine. i'm more concerned with rubbing but it'll be getting a little altitude bump soon. Thanks. Y'all guys are great. thanks for helping with all my noob questions

backspace_offset.jpg

Explains it better than words... :shrug:

Well, you are only .5" away from what is commonly run so no it shouldn't be a deal breaker, especially with the little lift you plan. Do realize that as back spacing increases (the back side dish becomes deeper), the wheel will protrude less and mount more inside the wheel well. The lighter weight of the alloys are noticeable and preferred on road for a reason.

B

B? Are those three wheels all from the left side looking at the vehicle from the front? Something looks wonky on that last one.... or I haven't had enough coffee yet... or it's Friday.

Coffee/Friday.

The imaginary wheel hub is on the left for all the images, so the perspective is up to you (looking at vehicle front = driver's side; looking at vehicle rear = passenger side). I'd suggest looking at the line that meets the right side of the blue Backspace/BS arrow...that's where the rim meets the wheel hub.

Those 4.5" BS will move the wheel center 0.75" inward on each side over 3.75" BS.

B? Are those three wheels all from the left side looking at the vehicle from the front? Something looks wonky on that last one.... or I haven't had enough coffee yet... or it's Friday.

The right hand side of the cross section view of each rim is the outside of the rim. I agree that the third one does look strange but it is simply the way they had to shape the arms to get them to match up with the identical rim profile in all 3 illustrations. I have no idea if it is a viable design, they probably just wanted to change as little as possible for their comparison.

B