I'm welding up roof racks, and need the best design.

taylorhayis

I have been looking at roof racks, and I'm shocked at the prices... But then I thought heck, I'm a pretty good welder! I'll make my own. I'm thinking 20mm square tube steel, I dont want the back (or front really...) closed off, so I can slide timber and whatnot up there. As much as I like the 4x4 racks, it needs to be dual purpose.

I'm thinking something along these lines, with square mesh (not expanded steel) and some mounts on the sides for shovel and jack. Just because that looks cool. (I guess they are handy sometimes too...)

jaram.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=131

But I want to put it to you guys, what have you seen that's worth duplicating? Any ideas for mounting points on the front half of the truck? I'd like it to be a full 2400mm long.

Cheers,

Taylor

You don't want it as a full 'basket' so why not fit a factory Xterra roof rack bar set (requires some modification to sit right). Gives a cool off road-y look, is all Nissan, and still functional as a normal roof rack :shrug:

Shoot man, that looks amazing... Never knew that area was a little cargo storage spot. So youre saying factory xterra bits will fit pretty easily... I may have to stop by the wreckers and see what I can find. That rack has a great look to it.