92 with noisy lifters?

Gingy

Got a little top end rattle maybe valve clatter... anyway Is there a way to adjust the valve lash? Is this a pretty common thing? I've also read that if the exhaust manifold is cracked it'll sound about that way. The noise goes away once warm as well. Thanks for any help

Manifold. It probably isn't cracked. The studs were weak from the factory and stretch causing a leak. Chances are you will break a few trying to remove them so plan your time accordingly.

A good starting point and some basic info can be found in the Pinned topic "Pathfinder Common Problems/Fixes, Read this first!" located in the "New People Start Here!" section :aok:

Oh and the lifters are hydraulic and self adjusting. Not to say that they cannot be a problem (I have replaced mine) because they can drain and cause ticking, they just cannot be adjusted. That said, AndyC is likely on the right track. :beer:

The 'goes away when warm' bit usually indicates leaking mainfolds, but pop the hood and varify if the sound comes from the top or side of the motor. Sticky lifters can be addressed with an engine cleaner product or by switching to thinner/recommended weight oil. Not sure if synthetic makes a differrence though.

B

I have a bit of a ticking noise too which goes away once it's warm. I saw here somewhere that adding trans fluid to the oil change can lubricate and clean the lifters or even adding a bit of trans fluid to the fresh oil can help so I'm going to do this on my next oil change.

I personally would not add trans fluid for the long term. Short term cleaning (maybe 500 miles tops), but not a full oil change cycle. Trans fluid is rich in detergence but it is also thinner than motor oil. I did 250-300 miles with a half quart in my Toyota once and it made enough of a difference to be noticed (cleaner) when I pulled the valve cover to inspect, the same time I changed the oil and filter going with straight motor oil.

If you want to go thinner, then use a thinner oil, that way you know and can control the exact weight of the oil.

I'm using 15w40 which is quite a 'heavy' oil so would adding a qt of atf make it a bit thinner? I'm not fussed because it's winter here so it's better to use a thinner oil in winter from what I know.

I have a lifter noise for about 3 segs in the first start, then the noise is gone. I added wynns engine tune up and the noise is only heard somedays not every as it was. This weekend im changing my oil and adding mmo too, im using penzoil 25w 50.

My noise is only when the truck is cold. It's a good maybe 10 minutes before it quiets up. i can drive it park it and crank it again and it's fine if it has warmed up. I dont know which would be worse to have. Broken exhaust stud or lifter problems lol. hell at 202,xxx miles it may be both.