I'm doing my water pump on Saturday, any tips / guides?

I have read the service manual bits covering water pump, and not getting heaps of info. I think I know what to do, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions or pro tips for me I would much appreciate!

My plan is...

1. Drain the coolant

2. Find the water pump

3. Remove any hoses or anything

4. take it off

5. Scrape the gasket @!*% off

6. Put gasket on new pump and install using torque specs in FSM

7. refill coolant and cross my fingers?

Am I missing anything crucial in there?

Cheers

You forgot beer! :lol:

Don't rush, make sure the gasket surface is clean before install, after refilling if possible park your truck on some form of incline with the front end being uphill (don't need to be a mountain, just not level). It will help with bleeding air out of the coolant system (I've never used the bleeder on the upper hose on mine)

You forgot beer! :lol:

Don't rush, make sure the gasket surface is clean before install, after refilling if possible park your truck on some form of incline with the front end being uphill (don't need to be a mountain, just not level). It will help with bleeding air out of the coolant system (I've never used the bleeder on the upper hose on mine)

How could I!!! Include a beer break between each of those steps.

Thanks for the confirmation, and the sweet tilty air bleed tip.

Fingers crossed the parts arrive today... I gotta get under the bonnet of this beast!!

Nothing worse than sitting in front of your computer working with this sitting in front of you... Working in a design studio when I'd rather be a greesemonkey - it's tricky!

5cAzaWb.jpg

Alright! Water pump went fine - no biggie! The thermostat was a good call, as It didnt have one in there before!

But when I was refilling the coolant, it started pouring out from the back of the engine. POURING. I tracked it down to a ~25mm brass coloured stem that sticks into the manifold down below the carby... the heater coil runs into it, and then into the engine. Does this ring a bell? What in the heck is it... one of the outlet pipes on it is completely rusted apart.

Any idea what it is, and if I can just bypass it? :/

Are you referring to one of the two lines in the top image?

1989-Nissan-WD21-FSM-LC-19.jpg

These run to the firewall heater inlets, correct? Do you want your heater?

Can you even by pass them, or are they damaged at the manifold connections?

Nah it wasnt those. It was this guy, which took a tremendous amount of googleing to figure out what it was! Appologies for my poor explanation - I was a bit flustered.

$(KGrHqV,!jEE+FSE64jZBP9jnZKlQQ~~60_35.J

Turns out I cant be stuffed ordering one and waiting around. So I made a new one...

Its an ugly sucker...

Sk3vt1Vl.jpg

Found some scrap pipe at the shop

c3jPCeMl.jpg

Was out of argon, so I used MIG gas on the TIG. Worked well enough for me! I'm not great at welding out pipe anyway.

BnEsJADl.jpg

Welded out and cleaned up a bit

Vk7tT4Yl.jpg

Hit it with cold galv inside and out, to possibly slow down the rust. One of the little pipes was stainless, but the other and the filler is mild steel.

It's installed and works a treat!! Went out for a test drive and my brakes dont work. But I'll make another post for that...

Cheers,

Taylor

• Haha 1