Squealing noise and rpm goes up

Hi all,

I have a 2000 pathfinder with 3.3L. For the past two months, the noise from the engine gets really loud as if its trying to suck a massive amount of air. Its similar to a fan noise. Even though I'm doing 2000-2500 rpm, the truck sounds like its doing 3500-4000 rpm. It gets significantly louder as the rpm increases. The rpm and engine temperature are normal. It does this whether the a/c is turned on or shut off. Recently, this giant fan noise sometime goes away and is replaced by squealing noise, as if something is slipping??? Earlier tonight, as I drove around 30 mph, the squealing noise came back. Intuitively, I tapped on the brake and the clutch to slow down. As the noise went away, the giant fan noise came back and the rpm increased without me stepping on the gas.

The timing belt was last done at 220,000 km (Canadian truck). It now has 373,000 km and is due soon. Could this be the problem or is there something else that needs attention? Alternator belt was replaced in September. I also have a leaking power steering pump. The pump is wet, but its not leaking power steering fluid. the power steering fluid will drop 1/2 (between max and min) every four months. I was also told by the mechanic that my ABS pump is leaking that it triggers the ABS light, but not dripping brake fluid though.

Thanks in advance!

Fan clutch may be your whoosh noise. When they fail, should fail locked as to always spin the fan. Second, rpm increasing on its own? Vacuum leak somewhere. Check the intake tube from the MAF to the TB. Common for those to crack and its like a giant black hole vacuum leak. Squealing noise is, well a belt. Just check em all and tighten. Since we dont have spring tensioners, need to tighten after a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe your AC compressor clutch is starting to get iffy? Whoosh sounds like Vacuum leak also. The squealing noise could be something as simple as a slipping Belt on the Compressor. Try to adjust the belt tension as they stretch over time as they wear. good rule of thumb is no more than 90 degrees of deflection. not sure why hitting the brake would make the squealing sound stop. .../shrug maybe the whoosh and the squeal are related, and maybe they r separate issues, its hard to say without sticking my head under the hood and poking around. I believe i saw above where someone said look for a leak in the vacuum and gave you a few good places to start. Dont forget the brake booster and the related hoses during your inspection.

pat

• 3 months later...

Yeah I am having the same issue, I've noticed the 8 moths I've had her that in the morning it would make a sound which I can only describe as a T-Rex Howl, lol, sounds like a large fan, when I push the clutch in it stops most of the time when I'm driving I' going to inspect the fan clutch? Also how big of a job is it to replace the timing belt? Thanks