Get ready for my new endeavor - MRJIM II

MrJim

Hello Everyone!

Well. It is time for me to give you all an update to let you know all of the great things in the works for me. For those who do not know me, I am MrJim and I created NPORA many years ago. My beloved 94 Pathfinder was my boy and it was stolen last year while I was preparing to do a engine swap. It vanished without a trace and was never seen or heard of again. I can only think that they somehow scrapped it at one of the area recyclers that have a reputation for taking rigs with little or no paperwork. Otherwise, my rig was so unique I know someone would have seen it somewhere by now. It was stolen last June.

Also, I had been on disability from injuries I had in 2009 and my income was painfully low since then as I was on Disability through Social Security. Plus I was dealing with chronic pain and lots of health issues that whole time.

Last July, I reached the point where I was ready and able to return to work and get off of disability. My health is great after a lot of hard work and effort. I was able to get the same job as a computer engineer that I used to have a different company for a great income again. Between learning to streamline my lifestyle so much to survive living on social security and no longer having greedy or destructive women in my life, I am rocking my bank account with few bills to pay.

This week, I found a 1995 Pathfinder that is the same color as my stolen Pathy (MrJim) and I bought it. It needs refurbishing and some engine work, but I have the good health and the deep pockets to build this one out to be something pretty unique. I am really excited about it. I could have bought something newer, but this is in honor of my original MrJim Pathy. I will build this one as MrJim II and I am going to look at ways to make it stand out from the rest as I build it. I am pumped and you can all bet that I will be hitting the trails regularly again once it is ready.

Life is not good, its Awesome!!

I am inviting everyone to offer input for ideas and suggestions for my most personal new build. For starters, this one needs engine work and I am debating whether to fix this 3.0 up, or do a swap with something different. It has a 5 spd and I like that. It has a good clutch, but I will be pupping a fresh one in it obviously while messing with the engine. Next, I am gonna do some front winch bumper shopping, sliders, a winch of course, maybe a beefier rear bumper, maybe a snorkel, a lift for sure, the perfect set of tires for it, lighting, roof rack, and so on. :) I was strapped for cash so often when I was working on the orginal MrJim. This one ought to be much more fun to build and much quicker too.

Here is the stock basic rig that I just bought. Remember its meager beginnings now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152709784132301&set=a.55427457300.78083.605882300&type=1

• Like 4

Good to hear things are looking really far up for you! Don't get a crick in your neck lol I'm looking forward to seeing the progress, I would fix the mechanical issues then revamp the interior and make it look better than new.

Yup thats about it

• Like 1

If you can't see my link it is because you aren't a Facebook friend. I will add you if you want. Its nothing special yet. It is pretty stock clean rig same color as my old one. Thanks for positive vibes everyone!

congrats on the new JIM. as for suggestions....Diesel?? maybe? SAS? long range fuel tank? can't wait to see how things turn out. and please post photos here as lots of us are not facebook users.

• Like 1

If you can't see my link it is because you aren't a Facebook friend. I will add you if you want. Its nothing special yet. It is pretty stock clean rig same color as my old one. Thanks for positive vibes everyone!

Congrats on the new Pathy! It will be interesting to see what you do with this one...

If you want to share it, you can always post a link to a hosted photo so everyone can see without some sort of alternate site permissions to deal with. ;)

B

• Like 1

Congrats on JuniorJim and it's good to see you around here again :beer:

Oh and sorry, but I gotta agree on the whole FB thing, I'm not a fan either. I have an account that I do not use for anything unrelated to my sons... it only exists because "friending" me was a condition of them getting their own account quite a few years ago ;)

• Like 2

I had just worked 24 hours straight when I was trying to post that photo. I was too tired to mess with it too much. I just woke up after a day of catching up on my sleep. I will get the photo straightened out so it can be seen.

I was tempted to pick up a 2 door to replicate a sweet bobbed Pathy that was posted on the NPORA Facebook page, but this one was too good of a deal and it is just like my original, so maybe I will do a 2 door later.

Actually I have found another WD21 that is in good shape with exception of those darned automatic issues and I can buy that for $350. I was gonna grab it for the motor and then scrap the body which would have paid me back. Now, I am thinking that I could even pick that one for project 2. It could be fun to have a backup rig for girlfriends or friends to join me on trail runs with. That one is a blue 4 door.

I like the suggestions. Keep them coming. I have some interesting ideas myself, but help me expand my options by suggesting things on your own wish lists.

I found a 2000 Maxima with the 3.0 ltr engine. They had both the 3.0 and the 3.5 options that year. This is an interesting version of the 3.0 ltr that is rated at 223 HP, a vast improvement from our stock 153 hp 3.0 ltr engines that came stock with the Pathys. It ends with a K in engine code for a word that literally means IMPROVED in Japanese. Here is the write up on Wiki. Let me know what you guys think about this as a possible engine choice?

An improved version of the VQ30DE is known by the designation VQ30DE-K. The K designation stands for the Japanese word kaizen which translates to "improvement". The engine was used in the 2000–2001 Nissan Maxima and adds a true dual-runner intake manifold for better high-end performance compared to some earlier Japanese and Middle-East market versions of this engine (2000-2001 Infiniti I30 models added an additional fenderwell intake, boosting power to 227 bhp). The VQ30DEK produces 226 PS (166 kW; 223 hp). The 1995–1999 US spec VQ30DE was equipped with only a single runner intake manifold

If you are going vq then I would suggest dropping in the 3.5 from a 350z or pathfinder. It has a lot more use able low end torque which would be more beneficial for a truck and the same amount of work and likely price. They are great engines although maybe just slightly less reliable than the vg. Great power though and light as they are all aluminum.

I'm pretty sure there are vq - vg bellhousing adapters available.

I may consider a rebuild, but if I could find a strong clean low mile motor it would be less expensive and quicker. I am planning far more than just a motor in this, so I don't want to spend a fortune on the engine alone. The 3.5 has to have some mods done to swap and I was always really happy with my 3.0 ltr that was in the orginal MrJim Pathy.

I ha e a FB, am your friend on there (last I checked) and still didn't know about it :lol: (I don't pay attention to it enough). Congrats on stuff going right and the new tribute rig.

If you still want a 2 door project, I can set you up with a deal!

• Like 1

I was always really happy with my 3.0 ltr that was in the orginal MrJim Pathy.

Didn't you bore that engine over during a rebuild? :scratchhead:

EDIT: Jim click HERE!

Edited by RedPath88
Added Link
  • Like 1

I wasn't aware that this version needs as many mods as the 3.5. That is the kind of info I am looking for here. Thanks. And, yes the 3.0 in MrJIm 1 was bored over when it was rebuilt back in 2002. It was a good engine before and it had a whole lot more power after the $4500 rebuild. The point was that I am not against the 3.0 generally. Just doing things like cold air intake and the right exhaust can make a big difference.

If you replace it with another 3.0 get a jdm one. I just bought mine for 350 dollars and it looks brand new. Not a drop of rust anywhere.

I was just reading about the JDM engines and that is a pretty good idea if I could find one in my area, especially for the price you found. The average mileage on those engines is 35,000 because Japan makes owners do bi annual inspections to license them and its cheaper to buy new, so they dismantle the old cars for parts. Nice...

They also don't change the oil as often, or at all, like we do here. Inspect it well.

I think you should rebuild the stock motor and spend the money on this...

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-pathfinder-solid-axle-swap-kit-sas-by-rugged-rocks-1988-1995-p-57971.html?osCsid=p85u8rd328c5e9gnc38sr3utl1

• Like 1

They also don't change the oil as often, or at all, like we do here. Inspect it well.

I think you should rebuild the stock motor and spend the money on this...

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-pathfinder-solid-axle-swap-kit-sas-by-rugged-rocks-1988-1995-p-57971.html?osCsid=p85u8rd328c5e9gnc38sr3utl1

Okay, its cool, but no way would I pay $8500 for that. A fool and his money are soon parted. :)

I would personally look into either swapping to a vq35de using a VQ to VG bellhousing adapter; or, build a vg34e with higher compression. You can get over 220 hp and a lot more torque out of a vg33e bored over to 3.4 using used vh45de pistons. It also bumps the compression up from 9:1 to closer to 10:1 (I think it ends up around 9.8 or 9.9), yet will still run on 87 octane fuel. It gets significantly better fuel economy than a factory VG as well due to the bump in compression (and the engine really not needing to work very hard to push the pathy).

I currently run a vg33e in my 92 pathy, but I'm most likely going the vg34e route myself once I get the parts together and then likely adding a small mid mounted turbo setup to sweeten the deal. Low boost 6-7 psi setup on a 9.8:1 vg34e would easilly break the 300 whp mark and be just a blast to drive with instant turbo response and would still be incredibly reliable. Factory ecu and wiring can be used with this setup as well with no issues as the stock ecu can be tuned to support the changes.

my vg33e donor cost me 200$ and I would expect to pay around 800-1000$ for the used parts and machine work to put the vg34e together properly with a full rebuild.

1000-1200$ is not a high price to pay for a basically brand new over bored high compression engine that will literally drop right in with very few modifications.

Edited by Nefarious
  • Like 3

I'd still like to see a pic of what you're starting with. Gold color right? I have one too. I keep my pathfinder under tight security after what happened to yours.

• Like 1